Why no dedicated hydraulics forum?

I'm a hydraulic mech. Two type of hose crimpers Pre set dies (only use one brand of hose fittings, no fudging the crimp spec to fit other brand hose) And adjustable setting type with a mic or digital adjustment, where you can use anyones hose as long as you have a crimp spec or can make your own crimp spec with a small bore gauge.

Most crimpers are made by the same 2 or 3 companys with different paint or stickers.

Most big brand hydraulic distributors have a "hose crimper program" where thy give you the crimper and restock you, But you have to deal with them only !

Looking for advice on if I should consider tooling up for hose making at work. any thoughts on economical crimpers?

John

That's a huge subject.....

How many fittings numbers? How many hose numbers? Can you consolidate to one brand? How much hose and how any fittings can you burn through in a day, week, year? How costly (time and down time) is it to get hoses made?

You've got to look at your usage, see if you can burn up enough stuff to be a "distributor" from your chosen brand of stuff. That's ideal. Othewise you're gonna be buying from a distributor. Markups are typically quite fair, but that is one extra link in the supply chain. You'll probably find that you save some doing your own, but not a bunch. Takes a LONG time to amortize a modest fitting and hose collection. But then you do have the immediate availability of non-stock hoses. That's how we got in. Vermont is a pretty small town, and very few hydraulic shops (and none of the parts stores) want to be bothered to get up in the middle of the night, in a snow storm, to knock out a hose that'll net them almost enough profit to cover the coffee they bought on the way in.....

Economical crimpers? No. Just no. You can spend as much as you want on one, or you can buy a very modest one, but don't think eBaychina is gonna be looking out for your best interest, tight dimensions, repeatability, all that stuff. Cheap costs WAY more in the long run. Ideally, the machine would be ordered through the same sales critter from the manufacturer or distributor that's going to supply your hoses. The one that's gonna help you get set up with the type/construction, and fitting series that is going to take the best care of your needs. Same "don't cheap" advice goes for the hoses... Of the brands that are easily available to us, Parker (not cheap) is the cheapest hoses we can put together if you look at five, ten, fifteen year statistics, that include down time, clean up, lost work, etc. All the cost of hose failure. I don't even have a way to break down hoses that were called out by time or condition before they failed, so you've got to figure that in too.... I'm not saying Parker is the one you should settle on, there are other quality brands with good, consistant, durable products. If you find hoses at the auto parts store, (with a very few exceptions), those are not your brands. Hoses are borderline consumables. They fit the consumable's rule of thumb. Cost per hour, day, month, year, or whatever metric you might use to get a return from said hoses.

What type of crimpers? That depends on what you're doing. Adjustable (universal) crimpers can do a lot more brands, fitting sizes, etc. But you have to have or acquire specs for each hose and fitting, which burns up time. My suggestion is that if you need that functionality, pony up for it. If you're doing maintenance with lower output... Save on that, get a fixed die machine, suck up the extra dies if (when) you expand, keep the time to put to other things. And minions.... Are you gonna have minions to help you run this machine? Minions tend to don't like measuring and checking things when it's a lot easier to just squish stuff until it looks about right.... Fixed dies help in that department if it's an issue.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like for now it doesn't make sense at our volume so will get them made as needed.

John

What he said...

Recently replaced all of the hoses on the back hoe attachment for the bobcat, was very expensive!

But could we have done it ourselves?

A friend has a crimper, but what brand fitting?

Where are we going to get the hose?

They cut the hose with a grinding like machine...yikes.

The Parker place sells the fittings and hose, hands you an assembled hose, price of crimping is included.

Fittings need to match the hose, crimper needs to match the fittings too.

Unless you plan on doing a lot, it coukd save some money, maybe, but it is very easy to go to the Parker place, hend them a box of what once was working hoses and select the new hose type, then come back later to get well made hoses, ready to go.

Same for the bobcat hoses, our bobcat store had an "opps", they crimped connector on hose, they cut it too short so it was in the opposite pile, had correct connector on correct hose for what we needed, was correct length so got the correct connector added and got it for less than 1/2 price.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

We used the Parker Mini Crimper at work , we had both air over hydraulic and hand pump for it , the high pressure hoses had quick couplers on them . I thought it worked very well and portable to use on service calls .You didn’t mention what type of work you do nor how large a hose you’re planning to use with it . The Mini Crimp has a 3/4” max .

Back