Why is there an outline around the part printed?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Being new to all this, I have to ask. Is this outline just a thing that happens? There's an outline around the part. Is this for a raft or brim? I have neither selected, so why the rounded ring around the part? This is an Octopi g-code renderer for this layer. There is an actual ring around the part, a few layers thick.
1668961840410.png

A pre-extrusion swipe, to make sure the filament makes it to the nozzle, and any from the previous print is cleared out before starting the new print.

My flashforge only goes about halfway around the part.

A pre-extrusion swipe, to make sure the filament makes it to the nozzle, and any from the previous print is cleared out before starting the new print.

My flashforge only goes about halfway around the part.
Interesting. My Prusa does a smearing wipe of the nozzle down on the bottom edge of the sheet, I would have thought that was enough. Apparently it wasn't.

Trying out some PETG for the first time. Made a small print with pockets for 12mm magnets. Bright red filament, so I can see the layer quality. Later may switch to black.

@WobblyHand I don't remember what slicer you are using, but it is possible to turn that off. The operation that you are looking at is a skirt. If you are using PrusaSlicer, underneath "Print Settings," go to "Skirt and Brim" and reduce the loops to zero.
The next one is brim, which helps with bed adhesion because it actually goes all the way to your 3D printed part and helps prevent the print from pulling up from the build surface. The last of the bed adhesion choices is "raft," which adds multiple layers under and around your print to promote adhesion.

@WobblyHand I don't remember what slicer you are using, but it is possible to turn that off. The operation that you are looking at is a skirt. If you are using PrusaSlicer, underneath "Print Settings," go to "Skirt and Brim" and reduce the loops to zero.
The next one is brim, which helps with bed adhesion because it actually goes all the way to your 3D printed part and helps prevent the print from pulling up from the build surface. The last of the bed adhesion choices is "raft," which adds multiple layers under and around your print to promote adhesion.
I am using PrusaSlicer, it's a bit premature for me to be using non-factory stuff. Have near zero experience base, so wouldn't know what things should look like. Later, I'll be less risk adverse.

I will try reducing the loops to zero. It is curious to me, why there is a vestigial loop when skirts and brims are disabled.

And thanks for helping me out. This stuff is still a bit mysterious to me at the moment. Still getting used to it... Like taking a sip from a fire hose.

I actually don't mind the skirt so much if it is a simple print, more for verification that the printer is going to do what I think it is supposed to do, along with providing a tiny amount of insight regarding bed adhesion. If, during the skirt process, the skirt line does not stick, I usually stop right there and determine why (not low enough Z, not enough heat in the bed, contaminated bed, along with other possibilities.

No problem with helping you out. I am no expert, but I do have some experience.

I use a skirt on most parts... I get lifting corners on square parts otherwise

I use a skirt on most parts... I get lifting corners on square parts otherwise
A skirt doesn't help one iota for a lifting print because it is not attached to the print. A brim is most likely what you are referring to.

A skirt doesn't help one iota for a lifting print because it is not attached to the print. A brim is most likely what you are referring to.
Does if you tweak the setting to make it super close to the print or in some cases, you can make it touch the print. I use, as minimum, a skirt/brim on all my prints.

If making a large square print in abs, I always add "mouse ears" to the corners to help prevent warping. I'll use a raft if I can't get it to stop warping using the usual methods.

Skirts and brims aren't directly about adhesion, it's about laying down a thin layer to help keep the build plate temp more stable near the print, which does help with adhesion of the part to the build plate.

Last edited:
Some slicers like simplify3d allow you to adjust the distance to the skirt and thickness of skirt s will as number of layers for the skirt. When you set the skirt distance to zero it does add to bed adhesion, especially with a thin skirt (say 5mm or so)

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Back