Why is it acceptable

What ended up being the issue? What did you do that it ended up that perfect?

Ahhh OK I see now, videos and pics help so much. If that .001 shim is behind there, looks like that taper is just a little bit too tight. We can swap them out, no problem. If you can email us at tech@precisionmatthews.com we will get that taken care of.

Edit: Sorry I was only on page 2, I did not see the updates until I posted, that looks pretty perfect to me! What was the fix just so others know if they come across this?

It tastes better eating crow while it is still warm.
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

What happened?

What ended up being the issue? What did you do that it ended up that perfect?
Results haven't been repeatable. Only thingI did different was to do what mikey said and swap the different studs across the different stud holes.

Even with that runout I could still get a .001" shim behind it and matt said u shouldn't be able to was really hoping thatd just be it and I'd be able to run the thing.

I've tried it 5x since then it was literally the last spot on the spindle and the last stud/stud hole combination to try that I knew was plausible to work. The last setting which I've since tried would have put the the Mark's to much at like a 530 6. It didnt work

Cant get the best setting yet to duplicate.

I'm done now haha

If you can still get a .001 shim between chuck and spindle, then the good results were a fluke. Send it back.

Thats odd, dead on would not be a fluke, unless you had exactly a .001" Gap all the way around, that would take some extreme luck, but maybe. Email us and I can have the guys send a return label so we can check it out here and see whats going on.

Thats correct there should not be any room between the spindle face and chuck.

.001 is just so close its like it just needs you to breathe on it to warm it up haha

Also though I see some other chucks mentioned, personally I would not spend the money on a Bison chuck for that lathe, its going to cost 1/3 as much as the lathe. Just trying to save you some money, I feel that would not be money well spent, you are not going to see any difference once this one pulls up correctly.

Last edited:
Thats odd, dead on would not be a fluke, unless you had exactly a .001" Gap all the way around, that would take some extreme luck, but maybe. Email us and I can have the guys send a return label so we can check it out here and see whats going on.
We are all intrigued so I ask that when the puzzle is solved can we be advised of the answer?

.001 is just so close its like it just needs you to breathe on it to warm it up haha

Close, to get the taper to sit .001'' deeper we would only need to remove .000124'' from the side of the socket. Maybe just by polishing with a rubber Dremel bit ? (sorry Nighthawk but I can't help myself that way)

Last edited:
Back