Why is it acceptable

Right, I tried every position so far. I stated that in an earlier post it was probably just too long for any normal person to read. The chuck taper is off. This is a big set back for me. Sucks

Right, I tried every position so far. I stated that in an earlier post it was probably just too long for any normal person to read. The chuck taper is off. This is a big set back for me. Sucks

I am sure that a tight D1-4 taper is not uncommon even with expensive chucks. It must be awful difficult to manufacture a chuck for a perfect fit on any D1 spindle that may exist. Personally I would rather have a tight one than a loose one. It seems to me that you are close and some light easy work on the chuck would solve the problem. It might not be according to expectations but then are you expecting a replacement chuck to fit better?

BTW when the taper fits well and does not obstruct full contact, adjusting the studs is child's play. With the practise you have had so far with the studs you must be getting comfortable with the procedure.

Last edited:
I have never experienced these type of dramas. My lathe arrived new from the dealer with a 3 jaw and 4 jaw D1-4 type attachments. Both have fitted perfectly since day 1, I have not had to make any adjustments. and they run true.

It might not be according to expectations but then are you expecting a replacement chuck to fit better?

BTW when the taper fits well and does not obstruct full contact, adjusting the studs is child's play. With the practise you have had so far with the studs you must be getting comfortable with the procedure.
YES IM A DAMN PROFESSIONAL AT ADJUSTING STUDS NOW. HAHA definitely always see the silver lining I was actually just thinking that before i read ur post.

Appreciate all ur help so far Tozguy. Yeah I'd say spending the kind of money that I did on lathe and tooling I'd expect things to fit up.

Everyone talks so highly of the bison chucks inwomder what their success rate is on the d1 chuck taper. Now I'm intrigued....

Me too although it is not sure how many loose fits would be reported since it is so much less of a problem as a tight fit. It would also be interesting to know Bison's manufacturing tolerances for that chuck versus those for a D1-4 spindle nose.

I understand your wanting good stuff for good money. I tried that with automobiles.

I want what's advertised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200220-093349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200220-093349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 17
Back