Why Do I keep Buying Stuff?

I see walking space , DENIED . We don't allow that . :)
Check the Map on my old post: it's only 24" wide (another reason I lost 90 lbs. a year ago: you have to back out to change your mind). Fortunately, there is a 24" pathway around the central Utility/Storage core (that reminds me, I need to move everything that's on wheels in a couple of weeks for the Spring Heat Pump check).

I know the squeeze, if my tailstock is parked at the end or the ways I hit the handle on the way by.

I know the squeeze, if my tailstock is parked at the end or the ways I hit the handle on the way by.
If my tailstock is at the end of the bed, I can't run my milling table past the center of the table; that's one reason my milling vise is located to the left of center (or is that not politically correct?).

Why?

Thats simple; you haven’t run out of money yet!

Took me forever (and some soul crushing debt) to figure out I didn’t have to spend every last penny in my pocket….
I hear you. Pay all bills (use credit cards for points/cash back and purchase protection you don't get from using debit cards) 100% when they come in, and keep enough in the checking account (before incoming payments) to cover the next month. Separate account for savings, and another account for necessities tools. It would be nice to have tool money in a savings account, but a) it's not in there that long to get much interest, 2) most savings accounts now have significant minimum balances and don't pay much anyway.

I hear you. Pay all bills (use credit cards for points/cash back and purchase protection you don't get from using debit cards) 100% when they come in, and keep enough in the checking account (before incoming payments) to cover the next month. Separate account for savings, and another account for necessities tools. It would be nice to have tool money in a savings account, but a) it's not in there that long to get much interest, 2) most savings accounts now have significant minimum balances and don't pay much anyway.
I will confess that I don’t really manage our income anymore.

The missus does. While I can do it, she just has a better head for it.

Since she has taken over that responsibility, I’ve always got enough spare cash to buy pretty much whatever I want and have a nice fat saving account (and investments) to boot.

Most "guys" may not like this, but when I want something expensive I ask her if we can spare the cash and if she says no, it’s almost always followed by “but in about X months we can”.

It’s actually kind of nice having someone else watch the finances and do well at it. Removed a lot of stress from my life and she handles it almost without thinking.

Works for me….and our credit score is somewhere over 900 now. Plus, the only debt we have left is the mortgage.

Giving up control of our finances is probably the best decision I’ve ever made. Well, that…and marrying her! (also doesn't hurt that she's blonde, blue eyed, athletic, 10 years younger than me and has a libido that I can barely keep up with!)

Last edited:
I actually like not having “everything” I need. The search keeps the interest going. The hunt for more stuff is part of the fun for me. I’m the same way with an occasional piece of cast iron cookware. I’ll look and look to find the right thing for the right price, cuz of the hunt.

Good thing I’m not that way with women.

Back