Why Do I keep Buying Stuff?

I have the perfect example. Last week while vacationing in Florida, I visited a secondhand store targeted specifically to men. Most of the stuff was golf and fishing related but there was a tool section where I found this "must have" gem...
View attachment 439123View attachment 439124View attachment 439125View attachment 439126View attachment 439127View attachment 439128
The device is meant to enable a single speed non reversing drill to drive screws, taps, etc. Of course it is basically obsolete as variable speed reversing drills are now ubiquitous and which I own at least a dozen. But I had to have it, because, you know, ya never know...
I bought one on ebay a few years ago, and converted it to a tapping head. It allows me to stop immediately, and also to gear reduce. I modified mine, eliminated the having to pull the nose out to reverse it. So now I use the motor to reverse.

Last edited:
I'm getting close to the end, as I've just about run out of toolbox space and don't have any more horizontal (or vertical) space to add any. But wait, I have a Kennedy roller chest in the garage that has space in it — what can I move up there? I'd have to go up & down stairs more, but that would be good for my overall health, so buying tools is healthy! Now, can I use my HSA to pay for them?

I bought one on ebay a few years ago, and converted it to a tapping head. It allows me to stop immediately, and also to gear reduce. I modified mine, eliminated the having to pull the nose out to reverse it. So now I use the motor to reverse.

Ya see, I knew there is a practical use for it!

Being income limited sure puts a crimp in the purchasing power of I need it now. Chazz stack 2 mid boxes on the Kennedy, more drawers, and still a flat spot on top. Put 2 of the red ones like mine on your Kennedy.

I got back into radio control airplanes about 2005. Ebay was a wonderful source for anything and everything airplane related. I bought kits, engines, tools, anything and everything. I finally acquired more than I could ever use and have mostly stopped buying.

Fortunately I thought I needed a mill and lathe to help in the hobby so here I am. :p o_O

Being income limited sure puts a crimp in the purchasing power of I need it now. Chazz stack 2 mid boxes on the Kennedy, more drawers, and still a flat spot on top. Put 2 of the red ones like mine on your Kennedy.
You obviously haven’t seen my shop (this was last September; there is now a riser under the Craftsman chest that is in the first photo, and I added another Kennedy chest to the left of that. I was able to reclaim some space where Christmas stuff was stored, but that, too is now full) - all available space is already stacked as high as possible.

New Entry (left side):
Current Shop Entry.jpg

Reclaimed Storage (right side of entry):
Reclaimed Storage.jpg

Yeah , right . :rolleyes: You need to visit Dave's Den , we'll take care of that flat spot . :big grin:
I plan on making the trip to The Den once the weather makes up its mind (the little critter wasn't right about 6 weeks of Winter, but he didn't say we were actually going to get into Spring any earlier). I need to see what I can find in Poly's archives on the Corliss Engine that used to be in what is now the Board of Education building on North Avenue (there were also Corliss Engines driving the Baltimore Traction Company's cable car system, but I haven't been able to determine if any of those are around, either).

Back