Why Do I keep Buying Stuff?

The hunt for more stuff is part of the fun for me. I’m the same way with an occasional piece of cast iron cookware. I’ll look and look to find the right thing for the right price, cuz of the hunt.
You're area is loaded with junk/antique shops up there . When we go up to our property we try to hit them all . :encourage: We're only a few miles across 29 in the Dolgeville / Stratford / Pleasant Lake area . Always looking for an old time water pump that sticks out of the ground . :big grin:

You're area is loaded with junk/antique shops up there . When we go up to our property we try to hit them all . :encourage: We're only a few miles across 29 in the Dolgeville / Stratford / Pleasant Lake area . Always looking for an old time water pump that sticks out of the ground . :big grin:
Funny you mention that, thers one of those sticking out of the ground in front of my inlaws house. Not connected to water, just for looks.

There was a big salvage place in ft plain that had stuff like that. Seems I heard they went out of business a few months ago. Another victim of COVID.

I will confess that I don’t really manage our income anymore.

The missus does. While I can do it, she just has a better head for it.

Since she has taken over that responsibility, I’ve always got enough spare cash to buy pretty much whatever I want and have a nice fat saving account (and investments) to boot.

Most "guys" may not like this, but when I want something expensive I ask her if we can spare the cash and if she says no, it’s almost always followed by “but in about X months we can”.

It’s actually kind of nice having someone else watch the finances and do well at it. Removed a lot of stress from my life and she handles it almost without thinking.

Works for me….and our credit score is somewhere over 900 now. Plus, the only debt we have left is the mortgage.

Giving up control of our finances is probably the best decision I’ve ever made. Well, that…and marrying her! (also doesn't hurt that she's blonde, blue eyed, athletic, 10 years younger than me and has a libido that I can barely keep up with!)

My wife also does all the bills. My direct deposit goes into my checking account. I have a weekly minimum that I give her for *all* the bills, & I keep everything above that which is money for metalworking.

I can relate...

"Why do I keep buying lathes?"

How many lathes does a one man hobby shop need?

It's an obsession...

I think I'm nuts.

Anytime I find something I want, I wait a few days... IF it's still available, and IF I still want it, I ask for my wife's blessing. Her answer is always the same... 'Ok, as long as I get a vacation this year'.

We are completely debt free, though, and I work a LOT of overtime... so I'm not even close to over-running our finances.

-Bear

I can relate...

"Why do I keep buying lathes?"

How many lathes does a one man hobby shop need?

It's an obsession...

I think I'm nuts.

Anytime I find something I want, I wait a few days... IF it's still available, and IF I still want it, I ask for my wife's blessing. Her answer is always the same... 'Ok, as long as I get a vacation this year'.

We are completely debt free, though, and I work a LOT of overtime... so I'm not even close to over-running our finances.

-Bear

You’re not nuts because you have a safe, family friendly, constructive, challenging & engaging hobby.

Hey! I found a way to pay for MORE TOOLS, and recycle at the same time: I'm going to start selling Vintage Starrett Knives! Not only will I be able to get lots of tools, I'll be able to pay for an addition so I'll have a larger shop. I'm taking pre-orders now.

Wait a minute – what's @mmcmdl's eBay name?

Back