1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS' started by Nels, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

There were several Michael's among my friends and family. It was confusing sometimes. Plus I always liked how native people used unique and colourful names. Tozguy is a statement that I am a fan of TOZ rifles. When and where my legal name is important it is available. Mike

FOMOGO, 4gsr and BGHansen like this.
  2. core-oil

core-oil United Kingdom Active User Active Member

City:
    Motherwell

-Return to Top-

Core Oil, It comes from when I was an apprentice in a small foundry sixty one years ago I worked with an old tradesman and we made sand cores for the moulders, And the linseed based oil we used to make the coresand had a nice sweet smell.

FOMOGO, 4gsr and BGHansen like this.
  3. RIMSPOKE

RIMSPOKE United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    WAKE FOREST
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

You guys sure have some interesting usernames .
    How did you choose them?

RIMSPOKE WAS A CARTOON CHARACTER FROM A 1970's CLAYMATION MOVIE CALLED THE PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX .

THEODORE RIMSPOKE IN THE MOVIE WAS A REMARKABLY CREATIVE MACHINIST & RACECAR BUILDER
    WHO COULD MAKE ANYTHING OUT OF ANYTHING .

YEARS AGO I WOULD TRY TO BUY PARTS FROM COMPANIES WHO WOULD NOT SELL THE STUFF I WANTED TO
    DAVID BROWER BUT HAD NO PROBLEM DOING BUSINESS WITH "RIMSPOE RESTORATIONS"

I ADOPTED RIMSPOKE AS MY INTERNET HANDLE . IT SOUNDS COOL & NO ONE ELSE USES IT .

[​IMG]

AS FOR THE AVITAR , THAT IS A PICTURE OF MY ECCENTRIC CHUCK
    DOING IT'S THING . WHAT A FUN TOOL THAT IS !

ch2co, rdean, 4gsr and 3 others like this.
  4. Hukshawn

Hukshawn Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bowmanville
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

Well. Name is Shawn Huk. My avitar is from cyanide and happiness. I enjoy their comics. Often dark humour, much like my own. explosm.net

2BA94199-0BFD-42E6-AAC3-E0F3E8FC68FA-1736-000004A81A5002FC_tmp.png

5. Fixnair

Fixnair United States Master mechanic Active Member

City:
    Sapulpa
    State:
    Oklahoma

-Return to Top-

I spent 50+ years repairing compressed air equipment in California, Nevada and Arizona. Hence the monicker
    "Fixnair".

BGHansen, booker, core-oil and 2 others like this.
  6. 12bolts

12bolts Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    Hinchinbrook

-Return to Top-

Love it!
    Cheers Phil

7. GA Gyro

GA Gyro H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Atlanta
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

My screen name is the state I live in...
    And my choice with experimental aviation... gyro-copters.
    Here is a link to our local group:
    http://www.peachstaterotorcraft.org/

Here is a link to a larger picture of the avatar...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=I+have+no+idea+what+i'm+doing,+however+my+book+says+you+are+doing+it+wrong&tbm=isch&imgil=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM%3A%3BiKL3uJB3EZj_9M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.funnycaptions.com%252Fimg%252F105099%252Fi-have-no-idea-how-to-do-your-job-but-my-book-says-youre-doing-it-wrong%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM%3A%2CiKL3uJB3EZj_9M%2C_&usg=__C42jWGYWLTVAm_P_GEKr54cEfws=&biw=1352&bih=934&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwj_keTpxZLSAhUIxFQKHRUqBmYQyjcIMA&ei=64SkWL_wOIiI0wKV1JiwBg#imgrc=t5Fq-3k0O0SeGM:

There is a story behind that: My hobby has always been fixing things... and being creative doing it...
    When I was growing up, I could fix almost anything... and folks would watch me and shake their heads...
    UNTIL, they saw it working... sometimes better than before it was broken.
    Hence the reference to the book...
    Being a product of the '60's rebellion generation... satire is a part of my life... grin

Good thread Nels, fun reading!

Fixnair, BGHansen and rdean like this.
  8. Karl_T

Karl_T United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Dassel
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

I just used the name my mamma gave me for my user name.

My real business is apple grower, so that's the avatar

BGHansen likes this.
  9. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Mine is a nickname I earned shooting trap , in Maryland many years ago a few buddies and I traveled to many registered trap shoots. I use to win quite often in most of the shoots . One time in Maryland the man in charged noticed I was shooting the Winchester silver handicap shells. After I won the shoot offs he announced me as Silverbullet. After that of course it took. So I'm now Silverbullet. My avatar is the day our grand daughter was born . My first time holding her in her mommy's hospital room..

BGHansen and FOMOGO like this.
  10. road kill

road kill Canada Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Lucky Lake
    State:
    Saskatchewan

-Return to Top-

My user name comes from me being road kill on the information highway. I'm not a skilled, more like barely literate computer person. No computers or even electronic read outs on my machines, I do use a digital caliper though, much better than using bifocals to read a Vernier scale.

BGHansen, ThunderDog and 4gsr like this.
  11. mcostello

mcostello Active User Active Member

City:
    lancaster
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Hard to go wrong with Road Runner.

BGHansen likes this.
  12. Bi11Hudson

Bi11Hudson United States Artificer00 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Birmingham
    State:
    Alabama

-Return to Top-

Bi 11 Hudson- On very old typewriters there was no (#)1 key or (#)0 key. The 11 of my name is to recognise the keys used for 1-l (lower case) and 0-O (uppercase). I learned to type on Pop's GSA surplus Underwood and think back to it.

Also use Artificer00. In old English usage it's what I am. I'm the grouchy old curmudgeon that makes the machines go. Electrical or mechanical. Or both. And most everybody knows what "double ought" (00) means. I figure since I have pursued machinery since before I was in grammer school it was most appropriate.

Then there's Model Trains... No reason other than that's what got (and kept) me into machinery. Small, but very fussy about running smooth.

The avatar is subject to change when I manage to find the patches from the South Pole.

As an aside to Kiwi, I've been to NZ a number of times. Loved it much more than that other island down that way. But then, it was a long time back...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    BGHansen likes this.
  13. ThunderDog

ThunderDog United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    MOUNT AIRY
    State:
    Maryland

-Return to Top-

It's staying consistent with My YouTube channel.

Thunder from AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and dog from Pink Floyd's "Dogs of War".

FOMOGO and BGHansen like this.
  14. willthedancer

willthedancer United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Portland
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I'm Will. Almost 20 years back, I was dating this gal, and she said "Let's take a dance class!" I sheepishly agreed. A Tango class was part of it. I loved and hated it, and was determined to get some mastery. She's in the obscure past, but I dance at least once a week.

No, Tango doesn't look like what you see on the tube.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

BGHansen and FOMOGO like this.
  15. projectnut

projectnut United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Madison
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I worked for a major food manufacturing company starting in the experimental machine design and fabrication shop. Over the years I served in a number of different positions with the final 10 years as a construction and machine installation project manager. Most of the people I supervised seemed to think I was nuts, so rather than being called the "project manager" I was referred to as the "Projectnut".

BGHansen likes this.
  16. woochucker

woochucker United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Pittstown
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I do woodworking as my primary hobby. I have had many hobbies. Race cars, photography, woodworking has stuck around the longest. In the last few years metal working. I now have 2 shops, one for wood, and a smaller one for metal.
    I just added my avatar, which is on another forum (Lumberjocks). It's my buddy, I had to put him down 3 weeks ago after close to 18 years. He was beautiful, would catch frisbee's 6' out of the air. Always fun, always a character.

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Active Member Active Member

City:
    Auckland

-Return to Top-

I'm glad you mentioned that I kept thinking of Gyro gearloose not from the posts but just from the name

18. Kiwi

Kiwi Active Member Active Member

City:
    Auckland

-Return to Top-

mine is kinda self explanatory and Colchester Master

BGHansen likes this.
  19. scoopydo

scoopydo United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sunriver
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

My username is courtesy of my friends who think collecting Scoopmobiles is a little different. These 3 wheeled loaders were manufactured here in Oregon and I have somewhat of an obsession. I currently only have 7 but I'm still looking. Maintaining these old machines requires machine tools and I've started collecting them too!
    George

BGHansen likes this.
  20. alloy

alloy Always looking for the next tool score H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    BGHansen and q20v like this.
  21. ch2co

ch2co United States Grumpy Old Man H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Center of Colorado 5362ft
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Origin of my Gator Avatar:

I’ve been known on most sites as ‘Grumpy Gator’ since a trip to Florida with my kids and grandkids to watch the launch of my daughters first Mars lander, Phoenix. (She’s now working on her fourth “space ship”) . Anyway, while driving around the area, I saw an alligator sunning himself along the shore of a duckweed covered body of water, where I assumed the gator had just eaten lunch and was sunning himself to digest whatever it was, lots of ducks around. I loved the duckweed covering and decided that I had to get a picture of this guy. Got my camera ready and walked over to the general area about 12 feet away and shot a couple of pictures one of which has since become my avatar. Just as I was turning around, this guy lunged at me at umpteen miles an hour, I never expected they could move so far so fast when out of the water! I swear that he had almost taken a bite out of my leg, but maybe that was just the adrenaline talking. My 4 year old grandson witnessed the whole thing and thought that it was really really funny. I didn’t agree and let him know so, but he still couldn’t stop laughing at me. He then started calling me, previously his “Opa”, “Grumpy Gator”. So since August of ’07 I’ve born the title Grumpy Gator. He has since reverted to calling me Opa again.

When I signed up for this forum, I found to my consternation, a Grumpy Gator already existed in the guise of our global moderator/staff member/director grumpygator. Not only does he predate my use of the moniker he also lives in gator land Florida. I bow to his gatordom.

Note: we do have an alligator farm here in Mosca Colorado at an elevation of 7800 ft.
    So here, I am forced to use the term Grumpy Old Guy/Man but I still use my same duckweed covered Avatar.

I have also been asked to explain my use of CH2CO moniker.

When I first started work at a research lab, I often had to initial various
    written notes / messages etc. We didn’t have electronic methods back in those days. My initials are CHH. One of the microbiologists I was working just started calling me CH two and it stuck. Working as an analytical research chemist I obliged and used CH2 from then on. Then came the computer age and the need to have a name and password and all that stuff. CH2 wasn’t a long enough name for many sites. I just started to add to my little methylene radical by adding stuff. Here I use CH2CO which could be seen as 1-ketene or methyl carbonyl or carbomethane or ethanone or keto-ethylene or as IUPAC would call it ethenal……or just call me The grumpy old guy.

CHuck the grumpy old (gator) man

22. Rockytime

Rockytime United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Arvada
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

I am a POOR, OLD clock repairman in Colorado hence the name Rockytime.

FOMOGO, 34_40 and BGHansen like this.
  23. q20v

q20v H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    Ontario

-Return to Top-

q20v = Quattro 20 Valve

Technically my second car, the first only lasted about 6 months, my 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v was a car that I owned for about 12 years and helped shape me into the person I am today. I bought the car in 1999 and it went to the junk yard in ~2011. I bought it in my last year of high school and I'm currently a Mech Eng in the defence industry. The amount I learned from that car was immense.

I've been using "q20v" since the early 2000's on all forums I join.

The avatar picture shows 4 Wright Screwdrivers I bought from a local tool / machinery surplus store, Cardon Tools near Perth, each were about $2.50 and made in the USA. Although I still buy overseas tools when I'm in a pickle (my current financial situation restricts me on the bigger tools) I'm a firm believer in supporting Canadian / US suppliers.

Barry

FOMOGO and BGHansen like this.
  24. DarkHorse

DarkHorse United States I like anything that turns money into noise! Registered Member

City:
    West of Madtown
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

It is a moniker I was gifted when I continually surprised some of the my shop when we were all together at squadron functions. Everyone overheard it and that was it. I've used it on the old BBS' and still use it on the forums.

Its a scene shot of "The Chin" B movie actor extraordinaire o_O Bruce Campbell, From Army of Darkness. the Character "Ash" just fabricated a new hand for himself.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    FOMOGO likes this.
  25. JPigg55

JPigg55 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Smithfield
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

Names Jimmy Pigg, 55 is the age I'm planning on retiring, hence JPigg55
    Avatar, email is "PIGGSFLY", crashing....nuff said..... LOL

FOMOGO, 34_40 and ch2co like this.
  26. Dabbler

Dabbler H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

I used Dabbler, because I'm really very strongly ADHD so I tend to 'dabble' in hobbies. I've been doing machining, on and off for 40 years now, so it's my most durable hobby.... The rest of the hobbies are too numerous to list!

FOMOGO likes this.
  27. atlas ten

atlas ten Canada Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mannville
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

Username is from my first atlas 10" lathe. Avitar is soon to be under construction. Forgot what it is now.
    Jack

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

FOMOGO likes this.
  28. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay United States Swarf Registered Member

City:
    Pottsville
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I have not decided yet about a picture or avatar yet but my user name is Rick O'Shay as in "ricochet", get it, ha ha. I also go by roert which is robert without the b. "roert" is not supposed to be funny just foreign sounding and seems unique.

29. The Liberal Arts Garage

The Liberal Arts Garage United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Keene
    State:
    New Hampshire

-Return to Top-

Back in the 60's I inherited the name from a friend (deceased before his time)
    who never got to start it himself. Seemed to describe the business Mary and
    I started to follow our ideals----- Stars in eyes----BLJHB.

30. Strangerthings169b1

Strangerthings169b1 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Orange Grove
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

My avatar is the best vehicle I ever owned, M35A2 truck. Had some real good times in it before a drunk (not me) wrecked it.
    And my name is pretty much how people keep telling me how my mind seems to work,,, or not as the case may be.