1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Why Did You Choose Your Username And Avatar?

Discussion in 'GENERAL DISCUSSIONS' started by Nels, Dec 30, 2016.

1. FOMOGO

FOMOGO United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Steamboat Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Yep, with Donald O'conner, he was quite the dancer also. Loved those movies as a kid. Mike

firestopper and Ulma Doctor like this.
  2. Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor Infinitely Curious Active Member

City:
    Tracy
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My Avatar, it comes from the 80's TV show, The A-Team.
    i was a teenager when the show came out.
    i was captured by the fact that with imagination and some education, things can be repaired or even made from the ruins of other things and save the day (even if only in some small way).
    i employ these principles to keep hundreds of processing and packaging machines operational.
    i am often the last help a machine will receive before it is deemed unfit for use.
    i have raised the dead (machinery), too many times to count.
    my moniker was given to me by my customers, i wear it proudly.
    http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-i-did-at-work-this-week.51684/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. 7milesup

7milesup H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cameron
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

What an awesome thread. I am always interested in people's stories, and there are some really neat ones here. I sure wish I could meet all you guys in person, that would be a lot of fun.

FOMOGO and Ulma Doctor like this.
  4. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I'm still waiting for someone to fess up to being in the Witness Protection Program. ROTFLMAO.

"Billy G"

Tozguy, royesses, FOMOGO and 3 others like this.
  5. higgite

higgite General Manger - Proofreading Dept. Active Member

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :cool:

Tom

BGHansen and Eddyde like this.
  6. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I was heavily into riding in the Oregon sand dunes and got the nickname from one of my riding buddies. I went through a progression of faster and faster rides until my last, a turbo charged Hayabusa powered sandcar. It had 18" of wheel travel, weighed 950 lbs and had 300 hp, needless to say it was a fun ride. My avatar is my shop right after it was painted brown to match our house.

sandcar1.JPG

7. 2volts

2volts Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Perth, WA
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

2volts was bestowed on me after a days trail riding on a KTM530 with electric start only and a dodgy battery and numerous push and tow starts.

pete

Ulma Doctor, FOMOGO and BGHansen like this.
  8. Reddinr

Reddinr United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Buckley
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

My username is something that got onto some permit I got one time. Not quite my name/initials, not quite not my name/initials. Just stuck with me for some reason. My avatar, which I just added due to this discussion, is a cartoon image of my dog (the best dog in the world) "Wiley". He is one of those once in a lifetime dogs that got lost or abandoned and literally wandered into our lives a few years ago. He is keeping my feet warm as I write this. I even named my electronics consulting/design business after him "WileyLabs".

BGHansen, savarin, FOMOGO and 3 others like this.
  9. Mini Cooper

Mini Cooper United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Cedarburg
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

I fell in love with Minis in the 1960s and lusted after them for years until I finally found an very original 1966 1275cc Cooper S (The granddaddy of Minis). I have owned the car for over 35 years. It is the one on the right in my avatar. It is the first car that my youngest son ever drove, that is his vintage racer on the left in the picture. Unfortunately that car came to a very sad end at Road America. My son is currently building a replacement for it.

BGHansen, FOMOGO and sanddan like this.
  10. olcopper

olcopper H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Pembroke
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

Cause I R 1.
    olcopper

BGHansen, savarin and master of none like this.
  11. sanddan

sanddan Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Damascus
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

In 1974 I almost bought a used Mini S in green. I so wanted that car but I was in the Navy and didn't have enough money. I think he was asking something like $1600-1800 which was a lot when you only made $400 a month. I ended up getting a 2002 MINI S with 7k miles in 03. It was one of the first MINI's that came into the USA. I still have it, the mileage is around 60K now.

12. firestopper

firestopper H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tucson
    State:
    Arizona

-Return to Top-

firestopper = firefighter. This photo was taken by a young swing engineer that was filling in for our normal driver. These young guys keep their phones close at hand.
    We where dispatched to "investigate order of smoke" around 1 am last winter. The dispatch was code 2 (normal traffic) and took us a good 8 minutes before we made the turn and saw the glow. Not unusual to be dispatched code 2 for a sniffer call as many folks burn wood in a fire place and given the time of day, no one actually called in a fire. Anyway, we stopped this from getting into the house but it was close.
    IMG_0019.jpg
    The fuel tank was dumping and tires where blowing. My brand new probationary ff (his first fire) was trying his best but the gasoline made it difficult, in the the end I pulled a 40lb chemical extinguisher to extinguish the fuel fire while he worked on the interior. We where at the end of the hose you see pulled, the truck on fire was 2-3' away from the garage door.

royesses, BGHansen, savarin and 3 others like this.
  13. eugene13

eugene13 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Colstrip
    State:
    Montana

-Return to Top-

My son and I race IMCA Modifyed and our number is 13. My avatar is a picture of the Jesel shaft rockers on one of our engines.

royesses, BGHansen and FOMOGO like this.
  14. Mini Cooper

Mini Cooper United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Cedarburg
    State:
    Wisconsin

-Return to Top-

They are fun cars, both the old and the new ones. By the way, Thank You for your service.

FOMOGO likes this.
  15. rdrasher

rdrasher United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    eustis
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

My name comes from an old video game that I played when I was a kid called Road Rash.

My avatar is me on my road racing bike.

BGHansen and FOMOGO like this.
  16. Scruffy

Scruffy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    RichwoodOhio
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Years ago I didn't waste much time with haircuts or shaving on a regular basis. So I was nicknamed scruffy by my co workers.
    Thanks scruffy. Ron

FOMOGO and BGHansen like this.
  17. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Canada H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Langley
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

I am originally from NZ (Kiwi) and I now live in Canada, (Canuck) so Kiwi Canuck.

I used that name on a motorcycle forum many years ago and now I always use that name when I register as I can remember it.

BTW I'm on quite a few motorcycle related forums and some of them are great sites with pretty decent members but I got to say the members on this site are fantastic, and the overall level of co-operation and friendliness is one of the best I've seen.

I love that almost every single post is supportive and usually stays on topic, hard to achieve without great Admin support and like minded members.

David.

I just added the Avatar picture just to prove that most people in Canada live in igloos including my family.

18. FOMOGO

FOMOGO United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Steamboat Springs
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Quote:"I just added the Avatar picture just to prove that most people in Canada live in igloos including my family."

Yeah, that's kinda like saying everyone in Colorado smokes pot. Ohh! look!! there goes a bird! Cheers, Mike

19. milomilo

milomilo United States Auction Addict H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Wheatland
    State:
    Wyoming

-Return to Top-

User name is a good dog I once had. Avatar is my fav vehicle.

BGHansen, Mini Cooper and FOMOGO like this.
  20. booker

booker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Citrus Heights
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My user name was just something easy for me to remember and the avatar is a Kuraki milling machine that was picked because it was the only machining pic on my computer at the time. I try to keep things simple....

BGHansen likes this.
  21. KevinL

KevinL United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Hanlontown
    State:
    Iowa

-Return to Top-

Nothing original here for me. First name and first initial of last name. I have the same username on all boards that I follow. I follow several canoing sites as well as woodworking. My avatar is a little different here tho.

One time I stopped at a tool supplier that we used and noticed this Starrett tool display on his wall. I mentioned that if he ever was going to sell it, please let me have a chance to purchase it. I would love to put it in my shop at the community college.

A few years went by and I got a call from him and he told me that he was going to sell the business and retire and asked if I want to buy the tools. He told me that he had to purchase all the tools when he got it, but the display case belong to Starrett. They sent it to him with all tools installed without glass in the door, I told him that yes I sure wanted to buy the tools, but would really like to have the display cabinet as well. So to make a long story short, he contacted Starrett and they sent him a letter that they had no record of the cabinet and it belong to him. I do have that letter.

I placed the tool display inside my shop at the college for several years until I had my iPod stolen from within my office. When I tried to get the college's insurance to pay something for the iPod, I was told that it was no good for personal items and I would have to turn it in under my own personal insurance. Needless to say the tool display came home ASAP.

Let's just say, it was a buy of a lifetime. $850. He told me that when he purchased the tools that the dealer's cost was $1000 for all of them.

I have a son that is now an Aerospace engineer and it will belong to him someday unless one of the grandkids become a machinist, moldmaker, or toolmaker.

core-oil, 4gsr, Fitter Bill and 3 others like this.
  22. 34_40

34_40 United States A Most Active User Active Member

City:
    New Bedford
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Hi'Ya KevinL, would'ya have a bigger picture of the case of tools? I'm drooling over it now! LOL..

23. KevinL

KevinL United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Hanlontown
    State:
    Iowa

-Return to Top-

I made a little PowerPoint. The first picture is a little blurry as it is the same as the one to the left that has been compressed. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqci2gb97noqsgs/StarrettDisplay.pptx?dl=0

In the bottom of the display I have two rust blocks that I recharge a couple times a year. Have also put into the display a copy of the Starrett Student Machinist Book as well as one of the Machinery's Handbook reproductions of their 1914 1st edition.

24. 34_40

34_40 United States A Most Active User Active Member

City:
    New Bedford
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Thank You for sharing that. It's just beautiful!

Thanks Again!

25. loggerhogger

loggerhogger United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Tacoma
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I used to be an engineer on a tourists railroad that ran old steam logging locomotives. Since the slang term for an engineer particularly in the days of steam was a "Hogger" well...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BGHansen likes this.
  26. loggerhogger

loggerhogger United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Tacoma
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

This was taken back in 1996 during one of our railfan photo events.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

27. seanb

seanb United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    st. louis
    State:
    Missouri

-Return to Top-

I wok with a bunch of younger guys in their 20's They are always showing me stuff on the internet they find, since I have same sense of humor they do.
    My wife would call it juvenile.

username is just my name My avatar is Tourettes Guy

BGHansen likes this.
  28. FanMan

FanMan Active User Active Member

City:
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I never fly up in the flight levels, but "FanMan" is for the powered paragliders (what some call buttfans) I fly. Also for my preference for antique fans instead of air conditioning. Many other forums I use my real name, but I decided to dilute my internet presence a bit lately.

As for my avatar, well, it makes sense to anybody who knows me...

Dilbert.jpg

vtcnc and BGHansen like this.
  29. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Well my name is William and have been called Bill or Billy all my life. The H is the first letter of my last name and the 50 is for 1950 the year I was born.
    Oh and the avatar is really me.

BGHansen likes this.
  30. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Well the KVT, in mine was from when my wife and I got married. Someone took the first initial from me my wife and my last name and put it on a set of glasses as a wedding present. Later we had some horses, and that was our registered Brand. Now after 36 years is it just kinda stuck around. Full avatar, Have not really found any I like yet. Do Computers and network, was also a ethical hacker to test sites, and have done mechanics since I before I was in high school. Have now goit into the Hobby machining, Don't do much pictures and only have a few of my work, so Have not come up with anything to put. And my ugly mug with probably brake the site if it used it.

BGHansen likes this.