Why Change What Works?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I know many people say to me, why fix what isn't broke?

The reason is that I am forever trying to improve this place, and make it more interesting and hospitable for more people. If I'm wrong, at least my intentions are good.

There are some new forums, and they are moved into alphabetical order.
The classifieds, well, they are at the top. I lowered the fees for regular users, 1% for site supporters and 2% for active members who haven't made a donation. Hopefully, ya'all feel that is tolerable, if not fair.

The extra forums- I checked our data, and people are coming here and leaving soon. It seems we are not hitting enough topics that interest them. I am trying to change that a bit.

So there you have it. Right, wrong, my heart is in the right place anyway.

Nothing is perfect in today's world , thank you for trying

Nels, I don't post a lot, but I see the work you put in here so I felt it was time to let you I know I appreciate what you're doing here. I know it must be time consuming, even just the thought you put in during the day.

Thank you for what you do.....it is appreciated.

I guess this is one of those things where every person would do it a bit differently from the next guy, thus the differences of opinion. Nothing wrong with that, as that is what makes us individuals. If each one of us was the same the world would be a boring place. I will also echo the comments of others, and say 'Thank You' for all that you do, it is a big job and the work required behind the scenes is not always evident.

As for people coming here and leaving soon, I think most folks join looking for a specific thing. One new member even said so in his introduction, indicating that he was here for the downloads. Once they have what they are looking for they are gone. Most are not looking for a sense of community or a sense of belonging. No, instead they are looking for owner's manuals, tidbits of advice, etc. Once they have it, they move on to other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on thanks for all you do. And agree with Terry many of the ones that just show up and leave are looking for something and once they have it they leave. I'll admit that I do that to other sites, As they are not as friendly as this one. I have been here for just over a year I think, I may not be able to help a lot but I try to help where I can, and see all the work you and the rest of the staff put in. Thanks to you all. I have been able to do some things that I don't think I would have tried otherwise. And I have gotten back into something after over 30 years away from it.

Ken

One thing I would look into is improving the search function, there is a wealth of info already archived here. however when I search for specific topics they are hard to find. Eg, search "DRO" you will get a message the search is "too short or too common"

Not an easy job, and thanks for taking it on. Mike

Back