Why am I binging on learning?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My (delayed) retirement was supposed to let me quietly mess about enjoying stuff I could not have indulged during the hectic melee of work, and being in business as a designer. The problems of getting a home together, raising children, and getting mangled by the problems that come with would be the normal stuff everybody has to deal with. The retirement reality is proving to be anything but a graceful, sane thing. I somehow can't stop myself getting way far into all sorts of stuff. This is not just about taking on too many pet interest projects. It seems to be more fundamental thing, like a kind of mid-mid-mid-life crisis!

How is it that my age, I am learning another language?
What is it with this urge to make vintage precision machinery run again amid a whole pile of modern digital stuff, often joined up to it?
Why am I learning quantum physics driving modern micro-electronics and computers? (XRF endeavours!) ?
Who has time to be catching up on playing sax of past era tunes not appreciated at the time?
Even at my age, I learned to fly sailplanes. That is NOT like flying A to B with a engine, while always remaining the right way up!

Life is still hectic. Maybe I am doing this wrong, and need to cut down a bit!

Was I maybe afflicted like one of these?
The Curse of the Engineer
-->

Last edited:
As your time gets shorter, you realize that there are many things you've always wanted to do but haven't had the time.
Speaking of which, I have a lot of reading to do.

There are more than a few of us in this family with varying degrees of 'the knack'. The video is hauntingly accurate, in a fun way.
Gotta be you, you do. Have fun with it!

Graham, as a new retiree myself, I completely understand.
I’m not quite at your manic level, but I do get it.
Bottom line, are you fulfilled?

Graham, as a new retiree myself, I completely understand.
I’m not quite at your manic level, but I do get it.
Bottom line, are you fulfilled?
Oh good! That's a comfort. I was beginning to think I was somewhat alone in this.
"Fulfilled" is not the same as "totally occupied" when doing stuff".

So now, the remaining task goals unrelated to "fulfillment" are going to be put on the "can-only-get-shorter" list, and there is at least one of the crappier tasks I will dispose of by getting someone else to do it! :)

The remainder I will knock off one at a time, and I will feel free to putting some of them behind goofing about playing sax to the growing crops in the field out back, making my machines make chips, even if only for their own improvements, hacking on the electronics and science stuff, and playing with my "big-boy's" chemistry set stuff. I have paid up for flying club membership for this year, even though most of it is temporarily COVID-limited.

Maybe some of the original gripe was about what happens to most of us by January 3rd. It started on Christmas Eve, when I had to rebuild and get working the indirect hot water heating system, so folk in the household, including visiting relatives, could take showers and suchlike amenities.

Back