Who needs more spindle bore?

Don't forget the chuck for the back end of the spindle. More $$$$$$.

I noticed the carriage is hung off the front bed way. It looks like it also rides on a scraped surface low on the front of the bed. Kind of unusual.

Th
I was wondering about that hole too. Maybe pump drive for power feed or power travel on the gear rack down the middle of the ways. Doesn't look like anything hooks to a shaft are something. But big equipment has some unique features I'm not familiar with.
e "rack" down the middle of the ways is likely a ratchet that engages a pawl on the tailstock to resist forces pushing the tailstock back from forces arising from the workpiece sagging, this is common on larger lathes; the 30 " american "High Duty" lathe that I sold with my business had that feature, on the other hand, it could have been a true rack gear to move the tailstock along its ways; it 'aint like a 9" South Bend, where you just push the tailstock along by hand. A spindle hole that big puts it in the category of an "oil country " lathe, made to thread large diameter tool / casing joints.

What do you think goes here?
4ee221ba9985b4d7766565b73261bf78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best I can tell that is where the 30-120hp motor attaches.

Wow!
The ways look in decent shape.
Somebody get that machine inside out of the weather!

-brino

Dang it, didn’t see the flat bedways.
I was on the phone to my riggers...
And my concrete guy to pour another 6” concrete layer in my garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 6' is gonna cut it. My dad bought a 60" Tuda lathe and we had to pour a chunk 4' deep the length of the lathe to make it stable, 22 yards

Back