Who Makes The Best Co-ax Indicator?

If you are really wanting to know which is best, it is a Blake. I have had mine for longer than I can remember. It was my fathers and he gave it to me when I got my Journeyman papers. I can't get my head around the clumsy issue? Define clumsy.

"Billy G"

I have an import coax from Enco that I use on my mill. Have to say it's a lot easier to indicate in a part as opposed to using a DTI. Wanting to know how accurate the coax is so I lined up a bore in the mill to "0", "0". I then checked it with my Mitutoyo DTI and the bore was well within .0005", probably closer to .0003". Will it replace my DTI? No! And neither will my DTI replace my coax. Each have their place and use in the shop.

Tom S.

Asked about the co-ax on the clumsy issue. My original post was to ask why a co-ax, as I personally have never used one, so I am a total noob on this, BUT, I have watched others attempt to use this instrument, and I see that it is long, it takes time to change the contact points, I have seen them fall out of the collet? and It would seem (to me) that dialing in work close to the spindle, one would have to crank the table away from the spindle...dial in the work, then raise the table to the spindle again...and if there's any error in the ways?
Again, watching others handle this... I've always used a Interrapid for this.
toolroom

Well it seems the consensus is a Blake is what to shoot for. Guess I'll be keeping my eyes (and probably pocket book) open. I hope to find one for $75 or so. Like I said I'm in no rush. Who knows, maybe I'll find some "gem" at the flea market. I go to a few big ones in the summer and there are always machinist tools by the truckload. Trouble is they usually come from a machinist that knows the value. :) You do find deals however. A while back I found a brand new Tesa 6" dial caliper still wrapped for $25. Not to start a war but I'll take a Tesa over most others any time.

I agree with Bruce

I have some Shars tooling they to work good.
My shelf I would avoid and thing that take a battery.
Used may be good or not so good.
I like using the Co-Axial indicator.

http://www.shars.com/co-axial-indicator-set

Good luck
Dave

http://www.shars.com/co-axial-indicator-set
I have a Shars co-ax that cost around $60. Works fine for me. I use it to center my rotary table on the mill. Have used a TDI with a indicator clamp on the spindle, but frankly it's a bit of a hassle to chase my face around the mill to read the indicator. Have used a mirror to read the indicator on the back side, but the co-ax is much more convenient.

There's a thread out there somewhere where the co-ax was mounted in a collet on a lathe. They indicated the tail stock spindle and outside of the ram to check for proper tail stock set over. I haven't done that, would be a little worried about the error in my collet.

The co-ax isn't a necessity as toolroom noted above. Unless you are really finicky for accuracy and really hate stuff from overseas, get an import for under $60. Or, shop on eBay for a Blake which will probably run $150 or more.

Bruce

Do not see it mention yet. Please be aware that this type of indicating device takes up a lot more head room during machine set-up. And if you have to translate the Z axis or whatever during all this set-up. You could introduce a cosine error from translating your machine. It’s a very handy metrology tool and can have a place in your tool box. But it does have its quirks.

I agree with chips&more. The clearance required between the spindle and the circumference to be located is a drawback. That said, I use my coax a lot. :) I'll have to do a comparison the next time I need to drop the table for the coax. Center with the coax, raise the table back to working height, then recheck with the DTI.

Ken

I have a cheapie from Enco and use it more often than I expected-once I learned how to use it!

Once I learned how to use it, it quickly became a most-used tool and I find it gets me more than close enough for what I'm doing.

Well, there you have it Finster... the pro's and con's of the co-ax! Looks like the consensus is... Blake is the top of the line, but Shars and Enco have their place too for price and durability. I have learned years ago... that an instrument is only as good, as how well you take care of it. Wish you the best in your choice!

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be looking for a Blake I guess. I learned a long time ago that if you can't afford to buy good tools, don't buy any. (unless you're desperate and in need). I'll wait and buy the best I can afford. Just like my wood shop. I buy the very best I can afford. My thinking is that cheap tools will do the job but maybe just that job. (if you're lucky). Good tools last a lifetime and longer.

Back