Who Makes The Best Co-ax Indicator?

Finster

Registered
Registered
I'm keeping my eyes open for a good CO-AX Indicator. I'm in no rush. I'm waiting to see one slip through the cracks on e-bay or pick one up at a flea market. From what I have read it seems that "Blake" makes the best? Anyone agree or disagree? I know everyone has preferences so if you respond, please give some reason on why you choose what you do.

I have Blake works great I had for over 40's years
Most will work the same as the Blake
Most of my work was just Big for Blake and had to dial plunger on a rod

Dave

Last edited:
Um, O.K., I'll bite, ... even though I've been in the metal industries for 30+years, as a journeyman machinist before moving on to outside sales, I [personally] never had any use for a co-ax, please tell me why anyone would want such a clumsy instrument... AND in ten years of outside sales in machine shop tooling, I have never had a request for one!
Just asking!
toolroom

I have a Blake and use it periodically. Seems to work fine, no problems so far, other than the set I bought did not come with a full range of extension pieces.

I have a Shars co-ax that cost around $60. Works fine for me. I use it to center my rotary table on the mill. Have used a TDI with a indicator clamp on the spindle, but frankly it's a bit of a hassle to chase my face around the mill to read the indicator. Have used a mirror to read the indicator on the back side, but the co-ax is much more convenient.

There's a thread out there somewhere where the co-ax was mounted in a collet on a lathe. They indicated the tail stock spindle and outside of the ram to check for proper tail stock set over. I haven't done that, would be a little worried about the error in my collet.

The co-ax isn't a necessity as toolroom noted above. Unless you are really finicky for accuracy and really hate stuff from overseas, get an import for under $60. Or, shop on eBay for a Blake which will probably run $150 or more.

Bruce

Um, O.K., I'll bite, ... even though I've been in the metal industries for 30+years, as a journeyman machinist before moving on to outside sales, I [personally] never had any use for a co-ax, please tell me why anyone would want such a clumsy instrument... AND in ten years of outside sales in machine shop tooling, I have never had a request for one!
Just asking!
toolroom

Well I have used a Blake and never found it to be clumsy. Some would say trying to watch a DTI 360 deg. around the spindle is clumsy. Now I use both and don't have a problem using either.

I would get a Blake. BUT, be careful when buying used. There is no coaxial indicator that is immune to wear! If it has wear, it will show a reading (not a null reading) when turning it all by itself. And if it is worn out, trying to restore it is not easy. I have seen new ones even read a tenth or two when turning them all by itself…Dave.

Just asking!
toolroom
What do you find clumsy about it?

I would be lost without my Blake. Nothing better for locating the center of a round thing on the mill.

I second Jim's opinion.

I have two at home, and we have 3 at work. Nothing faster to dial in bores and fixtures.

W tried a Fowler co-ax at work, it lasted about 3 months. Get a Blake. Even if you have to save up to get one. I got lucky last year and got one off CL for $75.

You can also send a Blake off to be repaired. We have one out now for repairs. My wonderful helper screwed it up for the second time in 6 months.

Back