Who makes a good pair of Kevlar gloves?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
I wanted to buy a good pair of Kevlar gloves for when I am making a knife or anything sharp.
I also need the dexterity to be able to perform various functions of grinding.
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Jon

Hi Guys,
I wanted to buy a good pair of Kevlar gloves for when I am making a knife or anything sharp.
I also need the dexterity to be able to perform various functions of grinding.
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Jon

Try to Google cut resistance gloves as used in the meat & other food processing facilities. One supplier is Sanjamar located in Elkhorn WI. There are also gloves made with stainless mesh which are more resistant than kevlar.

Generally speaking, gloves other than thin Nitrile or Latex (like surgical gloves) are not good around machinery like lathes, mills and bench grinders. The likelihood of getting snagged and sucked in is too great. For handling parts or working with some types of hand-held power tools, have at it. When operating a 4 or 5" angle grinder, handling big pieces of metal or, swapping vises off the mill, I wear gloves but, wearing them when operating a mill, lathe or other large, rotating equipment, you're asking for a disaster...

That said, these mechanic's gloves from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ves&RequestData=CA_AttributeSelected&q=gloves are pretty good. When a pair of my TIG gloves (usually made of sheep skin) get too beat up for welding, I use them for general purpose use.

And FWIW, avoid using a pair of oily/dirty gloves for welding as I've had them start on fire more than a few times...

Ray

I got my wife a pair of genuine kevlar gloves from MSC Co. They are great for handling hot metal. She makes jewelry. We have a plastic injection machine,and the aluminum molds get very hot. They are great. The heat never gets through.

Do not wear them around anything that they can get caught on,because they will not tear. Your hand will get torn off long before those gloves will tear.

Generally speaking, gloves other than thin Nitrile or Latex (like surgical gloves) are not good around machinery like lathes, mills and bench grinders. The likelihood of getting snagged and sucked in is too great. For handling parts or working with some types of hand-held power tools, have at it. When operating a 4 or 5" angle grinder, handling big pieces of metal or, swapping vises off the mill, I wear gloves but, wearing them when operating a mill, lathe or other large, rotating equipment, you're asking for a disaster...

That said, these mechanic's gloves from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...ves&RequestData=CA_AttributeSelected&q=gloves are pretty good. When a pair of my TIG gloves (usually made of sheep skin) get too beat up for welding, I use them for general purpose use.

And FWIW, avoid using a pair of oily/dirty gloves for welding as I've had them start on fire more than a few times...

Ray
Hey Ray,
Thanks for posting. My mistake, i know better than to wear gloves when working with moving and turning machines.
I should have just mentioned to use for hand work on a knife.
My dentist bough his practice from
a retiring dentist who lost his finger on the grinder in the office , by wearing latex gloves.
Thanks again though for the warning.
Jon

- - - Updated - - -

I got my wife a pair of genuine kevlar gloves from MSC Co. They are great for handling hot metal. She makes jewelry. We have a plastic injection machine,and the aluminum molds get very hot. They are great. The heat never gets through.

Do not wear them around anything that they can get caught on,because they will not tear. Your hand will get torn off long before those gloves will tear.
Hi George,
Thank You for your sound advice. That plastic injection machine sounds pretty neat. Do you make the molds or buy them?

Jon

I made the molds,of course!! They would have been to costly to get made,and I like work like that anyway.

Would these be suitable?
View attachment 77062

Cheers Phil

Meat workers wear those on their other hand when boning out the carcase etc. OH&S tried to make all the chefs wear them, we refused. complete loss of touch and cannot hold small items. They also slide of the finger tips leaving a bunch of chain mail hanging there.
On a different not have you worn the full size chain mail suit when diving?

Check your locale welding supply for a cut level four glove. There is a brand called Great White that electricians use because they are so thin.

Would these be suitable?
View attachment 77062

Cheers Phil

My girlfriend has a glove like that that she uses for carving (she does wood, I do metal).

Welding gloves are good for certain things. I like the heavy hide ones for deburring (I cut myself more while deburring than I do on the things I'm deburring). I hold the tool in an un-gloved hand, and hold the part in the other hand with the glove. Tig welding gloves are generally better fitting, but don't offer as much protection. When doing hand work with files on something like a knife, they would probably give you some amount of protection.

You could also try a local kitchen supply. Or, order a pair of these from Amazon like I just did

http://www.amazon.com/Ironclad-ICRM...&qid=1400298859&sr=8-7&keywords=cut+resistant

I searched for cut resistant gloves, and these looked so awesome I couldn't stop myself. They are nitrile coated too for better grip. SHAZAM!

Back