Who is up for a project?

notqwik

Active User
Registered
Hello,
Need a part made, I don't have the proper tools. Can anyone recommend someone willing to help?

Bought a little Hardinge miller the other day .... was damaged when they put it in the box for shipping!

Here is a picture of how it arrived.
newMill1_small.jpgnewMill3_small.jpg

As you can see they caught the lower knee vertical adjustment when putting in the shipping box.

Could not get it apart without trying to straighten .... broke it off of course.

Threads are somewhat distorted, but here is what I have to deal with now.

IMG_2755_small.jpg

Have an extra screw with the right threads, but will need to be machined, sleeved and keyed to work. Or the other option is to somehow reattach the the broken end and repair the threads. Can any one help with this project? Thanks!

newMill1_small.jpg newMill3_small.jpg IMG_2755_small.jpg IMG_2758_small.jpg

Send it to me... I'll make you a new one.

Send a private message.

Ray

How distorted are the threads just beyond the broken off square? It might be possible to true up the broken off shaft,drill it,and make a new square piece that has a round extension. This would go into the bored out hole in the threaded part,and silver soldered in. That way,you'd be keeping more of the original parts. From a museum restorer's point of view,that is more desirable than making a whole new part. I seriously doubt that the little mill would ever shear off the silver soldered square part. The forces are not that great.

A very nice little mill,by the way!!

P.S. if a little of the original threaded section has to be cut off to get to the good threads,how much thread can you spare?

If the whole piece had to be re made,I'd just prefer to make the whole new part instead of sleeving,etc.. PM me to talk.

notqwik,

Well indeed, the threads were bent a good bit. I aligned the thread cutter on the lathe (making no modification to your original) to see if they could be re-cut. No soap. When I ran the cutter parallel to the original threads, the end 3/16" of the threads are bent enough that a pass over them would cut them in half.

Anyhow, you're in luck. I have the correct woodroof cutter and a key that needs about 20 thou shaved off. It's all spec'd out and cut, just need to finish a few things on it. I've included the spec sheet and it's cut to these dimensions +/- a half thou.

Oh, BTW: The substitute material is 1045.

Ray

Repair.JPG

Attachments

• HardingeRepairPart.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 11
notqwik,

Well indeed, the threads were bent a good bit. I aligned the thread cutter on the lathe (making no modification to your original) to see if they could be re-cut. No soap. When I ran the cutter parallel to the original threads, the end 3/16" of the threads are bent enough that a pass over them would cut them in half.

Anyhow, you're in luck. I have the correct woodroof cutter and a key that needs about 20 thou shaved off. It's all spec'd out and cut, just need to finish a few things on it. I've included the spec sheet and it's cut to these dimensions +/- a half thou.

Ray

Looks great! Should last a long time. Thanks!

notqwik,

Ray

Ray!! You are da' man!! Wow!

OP

What are the dimensions of that that little thing? How big/small is it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=61606&d=1380757969&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=61606&d=1380757969&thumb=1.jpg

OK, threads are cut. Since they are small (36 TPI) and on a very slim shaft, I used HSS and cut at 200+ RPM. It was a white-knuckle flight but we landed safely... It's all anti-climactic from here... The woodruff key is flattened to size and we just need to cut the slot and make the knob rectangle. It will be in the mail tomorrow or Thursday.

I won't be able to finish it tonight as I have another obligation to meet...

Ray

Threads.JPG

Threads.JPG

Back