who has gone metric?

My shop has stayed imperial.

I made some hex wrenches both imperial and metric sizes, but the tolerances for the blueprint are both imperial standard.

It doesn't make sense to me personally, but it is a lot less confusing for everyone else.

I still remember the day in school back in the sixtees that our teacher said....
Well children today we will learn some metrics because is a few years everything will be metric.
Yea... Right...
I build and maintain textile machines so I need to use both. I also have a sawmill and we use 1/4's
to cut all the lumber. It's a lot to keep up with. My choice is imperial .

One annoying non standard I just found out about the other day when I was attempting to reduce solar system measurements down to scale is the number of zeros in a billion and a trillion.
I will let you search for the answers so as not to spoil the surprise.
Needless to say it was a pain.

If the thread is gonna get resurected, I'll add my 2 cents.....

In general, I prefer metric. I've grown up with US Customary/Imperial and I'm pretty fluent in it, but what I *hate* about it is converting - even within other of it's own units.

I surveyed my own land and know that 1 acre is 10 square chains. For those paying attention, 1 chain = 4 rods; 1 rod = 16.5 feet, ergo 1 chain = 66 feet.
A 2 chain by 5 chain area is one acre.

A few years ago I was building a cistern, so who knows how many gallons are in a cubic foot?

How much does that 1 cubic foot of water weigh?

I find it much easier to figure in metric then, if needed, convert to something else.

just want to see how many guys in the U.S. work in metric. i am committed to metric. i only own metric taps and dies, only have metric screws, only use metric tools, all the machines like mill, lathe, car, motorcycle are naturally metric (although my mill has imperial lead screws.) unfortunately i have to buy end mills and drills in fractional because it is rare to find metric versions in the u.s.

material is still fractional as well but it gets machined down anyway.

so shout out if you are metric and shame on you if your not! :nono: :lmao:

Sorry to reinstate this zombie thread, I found some of the discussions relevant.

I grew up in a metric country and then moved to Canada. The lathe I’ve purchased has imperial screws on it (even though the bolts are all metric...lol). I’m looking at purchasing a copy of the “Engineers Black Book” which is available in either imperial or metric. It seems that all the Canadian sources for this book only sell the imperial version, making me think that this is the version I should get, even though Canada is a metric country...

A few years ago I was building a cistern, so who knows how many gallons are in a cubic foot?

How much does that 1 cubic foot of water weigh?
231 cubic inches/gallon, 8.3 pounds/gallon. Committed to memory several decades ago. I can work in metric, but I must convert to it from my original predisposition. I still cannot visualize 25.4 mm, but I can draw you a line REALLY close to one inch long.....

Back