who has gone metric?

I make parts exclusively for cars, and ALL cars have been metric since the 90’s so my designs / parts are exclusively metric.

It’s such a massive pain that for some bizarre reason, all the machine tools that are available to home / small business machinists are all imperial.

Doesn’t anyone else work on cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Imperial all the way. All my machine tools are Imperial. I don't work on cars anymore.

I don't understand the difficulty in multiplying/dividing by 25.4 to convert. 1mm is .040", that one you can do in your head. 200mm is 8 inches when you're working with a tape measure. Badda bing, badda boom. I guess if you need to cut a corner you can always use calipers in units that match your leadscrew dials. Dimensioning drawings in either, or, or both imperial/metric is a check box you just click with your mouse. Metric blueprints can be converted (what was that factor? oh yeah, 25.4) with a pencil and calculator in a hot minute if your measuring tools and machine are both in imperial units. There is nothing to fuss over.
shrug.jpg

I do cars, trucks and motorcycles. Metric all the way baby. I don't think anyone can make a good argument how imperial isn't convoluted. Is this 11/64th or 89/112th? Versus, is this 15mm or 16mm? all based on 100 not elbow to fingertips! :p
I am trying hard to stick with imperial for machining...not exactly sure why, but it's not smooth and logical.

If a train travels at 140 km/hr, how far will it travel in a day?

Oh, no! I have to multiply by 24. Not 10, 100 or 1000, but 24! How will I ever figure it out? Oh, the humanity!

Tom

Multiple what by 24? Why would I want to?
Can any one argue that 10, 100 and 1000 are much cleaner/easier to.work with than 12? There is little doubt that one day the world (USA) will jump on board with the metric system. you never 12 &13/64th in the metric system.

If a train travels at 140 km/hr, how far will it travel in a day?
Difficulty depends on what units you want for the answer ... furlongs, parsecs, rods, microns, ....:)

Multiple what by 24? Why would I want to?
Can any one argue that 10, 100 and 1000 are much cleaner/easier to.work with than 12? There is little doubt that one day the world (USA) will jump on board with the metric system. you never 12 &13/64th in the metric system.
Yeah, but you have to admit that 300 million meters per second doesn’t have quite the same je ne sais quoi as 1.8 trillion furlongs per fortnight.

Tom

I do probably 80% of my work in imperial but I am totally comfortable with metric. My CNC can change units, but when I am programming it, there is a 3D model, the CAM program doesn't care about units until it spits out the final code. My lathe is imperial, but I do switch units on the DRO, so the only thing I have to keep in mind is the 8 TPI leadscrew.

My 1" micrometer and 6" calipers are nice digital ones and can switch units. The rest of my measuring gear is imperial. The surface plate hasn't decided yet...

Point being is I have no issue working in metric, but once I get beyond the size of my calipers and micrometer, I have to deal with unit conversion.

I am with Macardoso on this. Metric vs Imperial is mostly a non issue now. Calculators are everywhere. Computers do the heavy lifting of any conversions. My 3d printer is Metric units, my CNC Mill is Imperial. I have digital mics that can switch units. My lathe had a digital DRO that can switch units. I keep both Metric and Imperial scales on my desk. I mostly do my thinking in Imperial but easily move back and forth so .... Non-Issue for me.

Back