Who ended up with my electrical tape ?

I know someone on here has it as I DON'T misplace anything . :rolleyes:
Electrical tape has a way of hiding and then showing up in unexpected places. :grin: I know that I have about 6 rolls of it - somewhere in the shop...

Fortunately, I also have some upstairs in some "organizer" bins. I was able to find a full roll of red, 3/4 roll of black, and a couple of short rolls. But if I really needed them, they'd burrow underground to avoid being found! I also have a roll of self fusing tape, that stuff really is quite handy. The tape has no adhesive, but you just stretch wrap it about whatever, and the rubber layers vulcanize together in about a day. It never comes off, or unwraps, unless you cut it. It's a lot better than the cheap electrical tape adhesive that unwraps itself when it gets hot!

Electrical tape has a way of hiding and then showing up in unexpected places. :grin: I know that I have about 6 rolls of it - somewhere in the shop...

Fortunately, I also have some upstairs in some "organizer" bins. I was able to find a full roll of red, 3/4 roll of black, and a couple of short rolls. But if I really needed them, they'd burrow underground to avoid being found! I also have a roll of self fusing tape, that stuff really is quite handy. The tape has no adhesive, but you just stretch wrap it about whatever, and the rubber layers vulcanize together in about a day. It never comes off, or unwraps, unless you cut it. It's a lot better than the cheap electrical tape adhesive that unwraps itself when it gets hot!
The drill for the rubber tape is to wrap with it, then wrap with plastic tape to protect the rubber tape from penetration in tight spots, rubber tape is generally not used by itself. Another treatment is first wrapping with varnished cambric tape, then rubber, then plastic; this is used especially with high voltages, such as 480V.

Last edited:
The cambric tape also makes it much easier to unwrap a splice to add more leads to the joint, I refer especially electrical panels using a gutter with the main leads spliced into using split bolts or Kearnies to attach leads to various switch gear or conduits attached to the gutter.

What is the difference between the varnished cambric tape and Teflon tape? I know the teflon is very stiff. I also know that cambric is mondo $$$ :eek:

3AA2748A-74EA-44F6-83FE-ADCFDA30A8AF.jpeg

Back