Here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 6
Converted to inches, then back to MM of course. :)

I added about .002" to the shaft and keyway size, to allow for some clearance for a slip fit. Noone likes having to hammer gears onto a shaft.

I entered your gear info in Alibre Design's involute gear generator and this is what it spit out.

Look like it would fit?

Half of the gear needs to be turned down to an 18mm dia hub. The gear comes up from the bottom to the lead screw. The hub gives it cleaance, but it looks good otherwise. The leadscrew is a square tooth spiral. The thread gear only catches the edge of the tooth.

How about this.

The tiny dimensional discrepancies are rounding artifacts of converting to inch, designing, then dimensioning in inch again.

Think it'll work?

Last edited:
That sure looks like it. That was fast! I have been doing 2D since drafting in high school, late 60's. Tried to learn 3D but never had much success. Are you able to print it out? More then willing to pay for the gears.

3d printers tend to not be super accurate in the dimensioning dept. so its possible that the hole could be come out a tad oversized, or a thousandth or two undersized. Same with the keyway.

I'd be more than happy to print it for you, but my 3d printer is out in an unheated shop and doesn't work very well in low temps. I'm still probably a month away from shop temps up here that'll allow me to get decent results running the flashforge.

I bet there's a Kinkos or similar near you that could do it. Or perhaps another member would be able to hook you up.

Heres the .stl file, attached to this post.

I'm hoping its not too big to attach. If so, ill upload it to thingiverse.

Attachments

• Gear.stl
    176.4 KB · Views: 5
It said it took it. Will check with Staples tomorrow morning when in town. Don't have Kinkos, but my wife might know where. Thanks!! Will let you know how it works

It said it took it. Will check with Staples tomorrow morning when in town. Don't have Kinkos, but my wife might know where. Thanks!! Will let you know how it works

Sounds good.

I saved the Alibre .ad_prt model file, so If the hole or the keyway prints too tight or too loose, I can modify the file and increase it to whatever dimensions you need.

Or, depending on who/where you get it printed, you have them scale it up or down a couple %

I ended up ordering it online for $15 Should be here in 7-10 days. There is nobody local at all for 3D printing. Thanks!

Back