While we are on gears

Should you or anyone else need one of these in the future, I uploaded the .stl file to thingiverse.

Its available free to anyone who wants it, here:

Alibre's gear generator script make modeling gears a breeze. If anyone needs a gear modeled for 3d printing, drop a message into the Alibre CAD subforum with the tooth count, module and pressure angle and I'll whip one up.

Last edited:
Update. The gear arrived yesterday. 8 days from original post and $15 from an online supplier, Makexyz. The face is a little rough but the gears looked really good compared to original. Here goes. The hole was much smaller then expected, .370 vs .394, but that was probably good so it was not loose on the shaft. I used files and gauge pins to get a good round smooth fit. Took about 15-20 minutes. I used a needle file to deepen the keyway. When holding the gear to the shaft, I could see where the teeth were riding high so using two needle files i deepened the teeth and narrowed them About two strokes with each file. The teeth now look like the one in the you tube above , but a shade narrower. The blue paste shows the teeth hitting in the center enough to work. A ring and pinion for a car, no, but turning a zero friction (now) shaft, it should last for quite awhile. I now have the gear swung out of the way so it only engages when threading.

Thank you Ken226!!! I can't believe how in a matter of a few minutes you were able to get a gear that close from the program. More importantly, using the gear for shape, it would now be possible to make a cutter to get a pretty good tooth profile. IMG_0563 3.jpeg

Update. The gear arrived yesterday. 8 days from original post and $15 from an online supplier, Makexyz. The face is a little rough but the gears looked really good compared to original. Here goes. The hole was much smaller then expected, .370 vs .394, but that was probably good so it was not loose on the shaft. I used files and gauge pins to get a good round smooth fit. Took about 15-20 minutes. I used a needle file to deepen the keyway. When holding the gear to the shaft, I could see where the teeth were riding high so using two needle files i deepened the teeth and narrowed them About two strokes with each file. The teeth now look like the one in the you tube above , but a shade narrower. The blue paste shows the teeth hitting in the center enough to work. A ring and pinion for a car, no, but turning a zero friction (now) shaft, it should last for quite awhile. I now have the gear swung out of the way so it only engages when threading.

Thank you Ken226!!! I can't believe how in a matter of a few minutes you were able to get a gear that close from the program. More importantly, using the gear for shape, it would now be possible to make a cutter to get a pretty good tooth profile. View attachment 403493

Your welcome.

If you need anymore in the future, let me know.

If you end up getting your own 3d printer, It wouldn't be difficult at all to alter the models dimensions to allow for your 3d printers dimension variance.

Unfortunately, if I adjusted the model based off of the current part you have, there would be no guarantee that the next part would come off of the same type of 3d printer. It would likely be all caddywampus as well.

The Chinese must be upset. The next email after yours was PM saying they had a quote. Only took a month. It will be another 10 days before it can be processed in China and then shipped out for another week or so wait. Total is $49. Just paid it. Again Thanks!!!

Back