Which version of the Machinery Handbook would you recommend?

I found mine, I have a 12th edition and a 26th edition along with the above references. I also like the high school shop text book, it does a lot of explaining the operational setups that are not in the MH. Tim

My copy is the 9th edition (1936) that matches my lathe. I like the older versions better. The information is more suitable for a home shop, since the techniques we use as manual machinists in a home shop are closer to pre-war industrial tech than they are to modern industrial tech.

I found mine, I have a 12th edition and a 26th edition along with the above references. I also like the high school shop text book, it does a lot of explaining the operational setups that are not in the MH. Tim
Which book is that? author? ISBN etc?

mine is the 20th edition I bought in Quartzite AZ at a swap meet vendor for 5 dollars and other than the jacket being faided I dont't think it was ever opened . The book is in mint condition.
Its a book I read when I want to learn more about a operation.
I also have the Cd version of the book that I use when I want to read about a subject, it helps to have things larger so the tired old eyes can see it better.
I have the Engineers Black Book I keep in the shop for quick reference.

Books? I don't need no stinking books! I just fumble around until something fits! :cautious:

I have two. When I start something new, I like as much input as possible, I love math and love learning- stuff!!
The first book I bought was from the early 1900's and had diagrams dating to the 1800's. It explained the basics of operations and bit grinding and such but no tables. Fascinating they had figured out so much in a short time.
My second book of course is the 3" thick 21st addition machinists handbook (1980 print)- it has everything, every table, every answer to almost any question I would have. The original owner; Russell Kruckenberg, sure enjoyed it (Signed on first page).

I remember the first time I really opened the book and became immersed in it. The power went off for an hour or so in the winter, so by the glow of the antique oil lamps I had lit, I opened the book and began reading. I kept reading long after the power came back on. It was a good way to pass the time.
It's said we use only 10% of our brains, well, I used up that 10% and to input any more information, I had to lose some previously input information. So I keep the book near me when working in the shop.

The internet is nice, but stopping what I'm doing to go into the office and look up information isn't an option. Besides, there's nothing like reading a book, consulting a book. It's at hand, is easy and quick to open, it's already printed out, won't fail when the power is out, won't crash, and all you need is light and time.

With all of the editions of the Machinery Handbook, do they ever remove info, or just keep adding more as new technology develops?

They do drop some items. As I noted, the chapter on diy metal finishing (plating) is much reduced today compared to the chapters in pre WWII versions.

For me, older is better.
e9d8eab26d598b0048f604a2ed79ab2d.jpg

Here you go...you can get various versions here. I bought one from 1955 on this site. Its an array of bookstores from around the country.

Back