Which version of the Machinery Handbook would you recommend?

I would get the most expensive one you can afford. I have a 24 and a 26 that i picked up over the years. I would not trust everything you read on the internet, the Gingerly books are a good set of references too. I also got the highschool shop book, "Machine tool practices"

I would get the most expensive one you can afford. I have a 24 and a 26 that i picked up over the years. I would not trust everything you read on the internet, the Gingerly books are a good set of references too. I also got the highschool shop book, "Machine tool practices"
Ok....but I can get the hardback 30th edition for $60 up to $170, I'm thinking the $60 option! Also, I think this part of the question has been buried, there is toolbox version, guide version and I think one more...those prices vary too, but I have no idea which is which and what difference is...

I hate E-books, I only like to read real books, the hardback one is the one I would get. I think that if you get the complete one, even if it is a few revisions behind will be OK for the average hobbiest. Most of the newer versions are adding CNC/laser/waterjet types of references. If the $60 version is the unabbridged, then that is what I would buy if it was me. YMMV Tim

These things are pricey. I passed on one in a consignment shop that I stop in from time to time. They wanted $75 for an older MH in pristine condition. Actually the book was free but you had to buy a good condition Gestner leather covered tool chest to get the book. Didn't need the tool chest. Maybe I ought to stop in and see if they still have it for sale.

I hate E-books, I only like to read real books, the hardback one is the one I would get. I think that if you get the complete one, even if it is a few revisions behind will be OK for the average hobbiest. Most of the newer versions are adding CNC/laser/waterjet types of references. If the $60 version is the unabbridged, then that is what I would buy if it was me. YMMV Tim
Funny you say that, i have the pocket guide, and the 30th edition along with the 26th edition...I need the tactile feel of the book, i just can't "flip" through the electronic version for hours...though it would save me money, I just can't seem to do it.

These things are pricey. I passed on one in a consignment shop that I stop in from time to time. They wanted $75 for an older MH in pristine condition. Actually the book was free but you had to buy a good condition Gestner leather covered tool chest to get the book. Didn't need the tool chest. Maybe I ought to stop in and see if they still have it for sale.
Look here:
Watch out for "guide", which is not the book, but only a guide to the book.

Look here:
Watch out for "guide", which is not the book, but only a guide to the book.
Yep....I have the 26th, 30th and the guide all in electronic form...I just really need a REAL book. Sounds like a later version, say 26 or later...and possibly some other ideas beyond the Machinery handbook are good suggestions.

I have a 1955 and a 1990. what I use most of the time is the Engineer's Black Book. That tends to be the information I need more concisely available.

The various editions do change over time. There is a lot of information in the older books, that was dropped from the later books. There is a lot of information in the newer editions that didn't exist when the older editions were written, and much that existed, but wasn't considered important to the MH audience (metric system for example).

Since the 1940s the book has remained roughly the same page count, the only way that has occurred is by eliminating "obsolete" information.

This website does a nice job of covering some of the differences, although it does not go into deep detail of the changes.

I bought a 1953 edition because it includes a bunch of stuff about forging and blacksmithing that was gradually dropped during the 1960s-70s and is all but gone by the 1980s editions. On the other side, this version includes just a few pages on the basics of the metric system, and contains nothing else metric related, no metric fasteners etc.

I also have an early 90s edition which includes a lot of info on the metric system, metric fasteners, CNC and has info on newer materials not covered in my older book among other things.

In addition to the Handbook there is a small guide, that goes with it. The Handbook is a reference and assumes the user is knowledgeable about the subject. The guide is a learning assist that goes into greater detail on the information in the handbook. Not really needed for a professional, but I have found the guide helpful, since I don't have a formal machining education.

I agree that there are more user friendly references available, but the MH does have a ton of interesting material. If you are patient you can find other than the latest edition fairly cheap. I think I paid around $30 for my later handbook and guide set, and less than $50 for the 1950s handbook and guide.

Back