Which tool to use?

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
If I were to set a 3/8" steel rod vertically into my mill's vice, and I wanted to cut in at the end of the rod a 45 degree angle on either "side" of the rod, would I use a chamfering bit?
I understand I can set the rod at a 45 degree angle in the vice, or set my mill's head at 45 degrees and then just use an end mill, but I want to have a setup for doing a bunch of these at a time and I think with the rods straight up, swinging a 45 degree "end mill" back and forth on either side of all the rods set up in a line would be my most efficient method.

Attachments

• 3A0B8F37-7B8B-41C2-B4ED-04C8010C3B53.jpeg
    3A0B8F37-7B8B-41C2-B4ED-04C8010C3B53.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 59
This pic shows the rods, which will become guitar bridge saddles, with a 1/4" groove I've made for where the strings will lie. I will make another bar that has the rods sit further apart from each other if the 45 chamfering bit is to be used to create the needed angles, so that I am not cutting two rods at once.

Attachments

• 27BB5305-8701-4748-9A91-51B643C40723.jpeg
    27BB5305-8701-4748-9A91-51B643C40723.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 53
If you have an indexing head , set it on a 45 degree angle and use a regular end mill . Use a 5 C collet block the same way . Alaways can use a sine bar to set the angle .

I will make another bar that has the rods sit further apart from each other if the 45 chamfering bit is to be used to create the needed angles, so that I am not cutting two rods at once.
Using an angle cutter , you may find those threaded rods will spin in your block .

Spin in the block? Even bend over or break off, I think.
Yes sir , I agree . Looks like a 6 -32 thread possibly . :encourage: The angled cutters would put a heavy load on that thread .

Yes sir , I agree . Looks like a 6 -32 thread possibly . :encourage: The angled cutters would put a heavy load on that thread .
I think that ANY cutter would put a heavy load on that piece. Also, is the part one piece, or is that a tapped hole with a screw in it?

I do have an indexing/dividing head, (and what an incredible piece of machinery it is). However, unless I'm understanding you wrong it seems that would require a set up for each saddle. The goal here is to be more efficient and be able to make one set up and then go down the line cutting the saddles. If you notice in my second pic I made #6x40 nuts to keep the saddles from spinning. So far they're working well. Plus, I take only .005" to .01" cuts at a time. Lastly, I understand there are no set rules but I just want to know what tool would be best for my job/configuration and if the chamfer bit is good for it.

How you perform it is up to you . It's a one shot cut in an indexer vs . how many .005 cuts to finish them in the bar . What's faster ? I just know how I would do them . :dunno:

Back