Which style 'long point' Live Center would be best?

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Doing some 'wish' shopping and checking prices and such. #3MT on my 1440
Look for opinions - pros/cons on which style might be best.
Always seems that I end up with interference using my standard live center on smaller stock.
Thanks.

1578547682802.png...1578547704707.png

I like the left one . More tool clearance .

Same, I use the style on the left for the same reason Dave said, more tool clearance.

Thanks for asking this question @middle.road, I'm also shopping for a live centre :)

These are commonly called cnc centers . Not sure why other than the provided clearance . :dunno:

I always wondered why the one of the left were called CNC centers. The one on the right is just called extended which makes sense.

I have both. Prefer the one on the left. They're not as rigid but...

Doing some 'wish' shopping and checking prices and such. #3MT on my 1440
Look for opinions - pros/cons on which style might be best.
Always seems that I end up with interference using my standard live center on smaller stock.
Thanks.

It depends on what is being centered. A small shaft would be well served with the one on the left. A small tube would be best served by the one on the right. A larger tube would need a bull nose center. You will find that if you do a lot of machining, you will acquire an assortment of centers, with each being used for different setups.

For a starter center, I would pick one with a point about 1/2" in diameter. It will center a wide range of objects, both tubes and rods and will give years of service.

One thing to note on both of those (And apparently most CNC-style tailstock devices): They don't come with the tang that lets you push them out by retracting the tailstock! Also note that there are like 4 different thread pitches for them, I ended up with a live center and a drill chuck that had different threads (and the tangs I ordered were a 3rd type!) so I had to make one.

Back