Which Solder to use

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here I am at the well thirsty again for knowledge. I am trying to solder 12 gage copper wire and 10 gage copper wire and not having any luck. Not my first Rodeo but keep getting Bucked off. Using a clean sample of 12 gage thhn stranded copper wire I cannot get any solder to stick much less flow. I am using 60/40 .8 mm solder along with Plusivo high quality paste. Could it be that I am using a propane flame directly on the wire to heat it thus causing the copper to oxidize. I apply the paste to the wire then heat the wire and then touch the solder to it and it just beads up. I was just about to order another roll of solder to go along with the 2 rolls I already have and decided to ask for help instead. Thanks in advance.

10 and 12 ga are thick enough to be a pain with a torch. The torch heats too quickly, overshooting the sweet spot and the solder just rolls off. Try a soldering iron. On that kind of work, I prefer a Wen trigger type automotive soldering iron. Let it cool, brighten the wire, re-flux, and try it with less fire.

When I was a Bradley mechanic, I carried a butane pencil torch in my tool bag along with some solder and flux. I am a solder and heat shrink guy, I don't think much of crimped butt splices. But the other guys loved them, and at some point they'd fail and I'd fix it right. So I got lots of practice flame soldering 12-18 ga automotive wire. And you know what? It's a chitty method, frustrating to get proper fusion, an overall pain in the lugnuts. It is a valid field repair, but a real bad choice for the shop.

If you don't have a soldering iron and don't want to spend the $10, you can torch heat a piece of copper then use the copper to solder with. It might not even have to be copper. Even that would be easier to manage than flame soldering.

Yeah, a soldering iron is the better tool for this. If you MUST use a torch, do it this way:
1) Clean your targets (wires) with some fine sandpaper.
2) Using the unglazed side of an old ceramic tile, melt some solder into a small puddle.
3) Tin your targets by first dipping them into a flux, then putting them into the molten solder.
4) When cooled, twist the two targets together with pliers.
5) Dip the twisted pair into flux.
6) Dip the pair into the puddle of solder.

If everything goes well, you should see the solder quickly wick up onto where you want the joint.

I guess my hunch was right Propane No Bueno. I've been looking for my pistol grip soldering gun for 2 days now. Guess it is time to buy a new one. That will be a part of my Obit. "He looked for things a lot " LOL I could probably add a few years to my life if I could just redeem all the hours, I have spent over my lifetime looking for stuff. lol

Used to see a tip for a standard propane torch that had a 1/2 inch round copper bar machined to a chisel point. The copper bar was only 1 1\2 inch long and mounted concentric with the burner. Made propane soldering copper. There is a reason why soldering coppers were used to solder instead of applying direct heat with a torch. Like every one else said a soldering gun is what I use to solder electric wires with.

Here I am at the well thirsty again for knowledge. I am trying to solder 12 gage copper wire and 10 gage copper wire and not having any luck. Not my first Rodeo but keep getting Bucked off. Using a clean sample of 12 gage thhn stranded copper wire I cannot get any solder to stick much less flow. I am using 60/40 .8 mm solder along with Plusivo high quality paste. Could it be that I am using a propane flame directly on the wire to heat it thus causing the copper to oxidize. I apply the paste to the wire then heat the wire and then touch the solder to it and it just beads up. I was just about to order another roll of solder to go along with the 2 rolls I already have and decided to ask for help instead. Thanks in advance.
Hello , could you pick up a electric soldering iron with enough wattage to heat up the work . You can also (tin )the work with solder before you attach them.

.like anything else sandpaper the work to clean it etc... oxidation....,.
Just thought I'd give you my two cents......

Back