Which size of vise should I get for a bench mill with a 840x210mm table ?

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
Hi, I've got a Weiss VM32B comming my way (similar to PM-30MV), not delivered yet, and I'm wondering how big of a vise I should get for it.

The table dimensions are 840x210mm, (or 33" x 8.25")

I'd like to get as big of a vise as possible, but not too big. Since I've never had a mill, I'm not sure how big is too big.

4" is a nice size. I like swivel vises but they do eat up a lot of vertical space
Try to find a low profile swivel one- not easy

I've been looking at swivel vises, it seems that when you remove the base, you can install it on the table, and it becomes a "normal" (non swivel) base.

In other words, is there a downside to having a swivel, can you get it out of the way when you don't need it ?

4" is a nice size. I like swivel vises but they do eat up a lot of vertical space
Try to find a low profile swivel one- not easy

I've been looking at swivel vises, it seems that when you remove the base, you can install it on the table, and it becomes a "normal" (non swivel) base.

In other words, is there a downside to having a swivel, can you get it out of the way when you don't need it ?
I’ve been a toolmaker for 35 yrs and never used one.

I personally despise them, but I’m sure in a parallel universe there’s another me who swears by them.

As to size, that table is big enough for a 6”.

I’ve been a toolmaker for 35 yrs and never used one.

I personally despise them, but I’m sure in a parallel universe there’s another me who swears by them.

As to size, that table is big enough for a 6”.

Just to be sure, when you say I can fit a 6" vise, does the 6" refer to jaw capacity ?

Like a vise like this one https://www.vevor.ca/mill-vise-c_10...hine-bench-clamp-clamping-vice-p_010879773869

?

Also: could this vise be setup in both orientations (along axis X and Y) ?

Just to be sure, when you say I can fit a 6" vise, does the 6" refer to jaw capacity ?

Like a vise like this one https://www.vevor.ca/mill-vise-c_10...hine-bench-clamp-clamping-vice-p_010879773869

?

Also: could this vise be setup in both orientations (along axis X and Y) ?
The size (4 or 6) refers to the jaw width not how wide it can open.
I have that mill and I bought a 4" vise.
At ~17" long a 6" is too big IMHO as it overhangs the front of the table by a large amount.

You could mount a 4" in both axis but holding it down in the non-standard orientation will require some strap clamps.

You could mount a 4" in both axis but holding it down in the non-standard orientation will require some strap clamps.
Yes , this is where the swivel base comes in handy . Many people don't use/like the swivel bases for multiple reasons . Loss of Z depth , not exactly accurate etc . If you're not making NASA parts they are great for angles . Use a sine bar to set any angle needed or use the grads if accuracy is not of concern . I like having the choice of using it or not . It shines when making multiple parts .

FWIW, I have a 5" vice on my PM-30, and am very happy with the size. I agree with DavidR8 - a 6" vice has too much overhang off the front of the table. I think I'd have been disappointed with a 4" as being too small at times, and the 6" would've put a lot of weight off the front edge of the table. Also, if you're considering a rotary table...an 8" table seems to be just the right size for this size of machine IMO.

This is an 8” table on my mill.
90df9e33c153a1e58dcca8514c5499af.jpg

I have a 4" vise on my G0730, looking back I should have put a 5" vise on it.
On the other hand the 4" Vise fits perfectly on my 10" rotary table, so maybe not.

Back