Which Scotch Bright wheel?

Years ago I bought a bench grinder at an auction, it had one of these nylon/abrasive wheels on it. It was amazing and worked beautifully at removing burrs, polishing and even sharpening knives. When it finally wore to unusable, I wanted to get an exact replacement it but it had no markings on it. I took a guess and went for a "medium", Unfortunately it is not the same. It does deburr and gives good results on steel, it is a little too aggressive for aluminum unless care it taken to give a very light touch. It also doesn't polish the same or give a razor edge to knives like the old wheel. So I assume I need soft or extra soft.

Years ago I bought a bench grinder at an auction, it had one of these nylon/abrasive wheels on it. It was amazing and worked beautifully at removing burrs, polishing and even sharpening knives. When it finally wore to unusable, I wanted to get an exact replacement it but it had no markings on it. I took a guess and went for a "medium", Unfortunately it is not the same. It does deburr and gives good results on steel, it is a little too aggressive for aluminum unless care it taken to give a very light touch. It also doesn't polish the same or give a razor edge to knives like the old wheel. So I assume I need soft or extra soft.
That is what happened with mine... it came from a previous seller and the wheel was old as... but it was perfect... like you, no markings and my purchase guess was not the same...

Looking to see what the OP buys and his feedback... I would like to get another one, but the right one this time.

That is what happened with mine... it came from a previous seller and the wheel was old as... but it was perfect... like you, no markings and my purchase guess was not the same...

Looking to see what the OP buys and his feedback... I would like to get another one, but the right one this time.
Yeah I hear you, those wheels are north of a hundred bucks for my 8" grinder so I want to be as sure as possible before ordering another.

I bought one of these a few years back. Expensive but does a super job on deburring.

Back