Which Scotch Bright wheel?

Larry$

Registered
Registered
I just ordered a new bench grinder and want to use my old 8" one to debur and/or polish. Looking at all the different Scotch Bright wheels available I have no idea which one(s) to order. Help!

I remember buying my first one for $25, several years ago, and being surprised by $75 price tags more recently.

This brochure from 3M may help in deciding which type of deburring wheels to purchase. Personally, I use their Scotch-Brite convolute "Light Deburring Wheels".

They are soft so they don't grind away the square edge on aluminum and do take off the burrs with light pressure. I also use them on 316 stainless. Stainless takes a little more pressure but still produce a nice crisp edge. They probably wear faster than the EXL or EXL Pro's, but mine are going on 10 years old and have barely any noticeable wear. I would avoid the more aggressive wheels. They tend to dig in and ruin a crisp edge if uneven pressure is applied.

I bought a 3M 6" wheel maybe 6 months ago, called a "medium deburring", and it's been just about perfect. Around $50 as I recall.

Amazon has similar cheaper versions like this

Anyone had experience with these?

Because I use it on aluminum, it seemed like silicon carbide was the preferred abrasive.

Back