Which Grizzly mill should I buy

Hi :hi:
Decide what you are going to make with it, what your budget is, what extra tooling you will need..& you will ! :thinking: & what space you have to put it in. Looking at the pic of the 0755 I see there's no DRO fitted, I have fitted my UK version of the G0704/BF20L with remote readouts (Iguage version) on the X & Y axis & I reckon it's one of the best $100 I have spent. If you have the funds , (& permission of the finanace director :whistle:) go for the biggest package you can get, we're generally limited on space over here in the UK, usually a garden shed or single car garage (some are lucky & have a double garage) that's why we tend to go for the smaller size.

Happy hunting
George

I went through this about a year ago and was all set for a G0704 but after hearing so many problems with that silly plastic gear, the motor and controller I decided against it. I found a used round column for 1/3 the price and could not be happier. The mill is dead quiet, very solid, simple to repair, no complicated electronics. The issue with losing your zero is highly overrated IMO. If you get a set of ER collets and chuck (ER25 in my case) you won't need a drill chuck or EM holders, which almost eliminates the need to raise/lower the head. Even if you do, it is really quite simple to get it back in position.

Another big advantage is the ability to swing the head when you run out of travel on your table. Changing speeds can be annoying, but most of the time I use the same speed. I made my own power feed, but find I get a decent enough finish without it, just saves hand cranking really - I would install some kind of DRO before worrying about power feed

I just wanted to post an update on this thread. I called Grizzly on 4-12 and they told me the G0755 should be in the first week of of May, so I placed my order for a G0602 and the new G0755 thinking I should get my machines by the end of May. I just checked my e-mails and they both shipped yesterday and will be delivered Monday. I am still working on the roller cabinet I am building for the G0602, I just finished the five drawers yesterday the cabinet needs painted and the top built but it is getting close to being done. I will take some pictures when I receive the machines and get them set up.

I bought the Grizzly G705 Mill/Drill and have been pleased. More than enough power and have not had any issues with the round column. In fact, I've read a number of posts about the Chinese made mills with the dovetail columns having to resquare the column after moving up or down. I can only repeat what I've read. The other aspect is not to push any machine past its limits. I had a friend come over who is a machinist by trade using nothing but Bridgeports for the last 30 years give my G705 a try. He was impressed with it's capabilities but also stated, be aware of the machines limitations. He said he's seen many of operators pushing the machines and breaking the heavy duty / production mills. I'm mainly working with aluminum thus far and have not run any steel on the mill yet. I'll see how it handles steel when the time comes.

Harleyscooter

Hi
I see that you have had the 755 for about a year now. I am looking at the same one and was wondering what your experience has been with it. Would you by it again?

Do you know if it has the plastic gears or are they iron? This is my area of concern.
By the way, how was the sguareness of the tower on your unit?

Thanks
Jim

Harleyscooter

Hi
I see that you have had the 755 for about a year now. I am looking at the same one and was wondering what your experience has been with it. Would you by it again?

Do you know if it has the plastic gears or are they iron? This is my area of concern.
By the way, how was the sguareness of the tower on your unit?

Thanks
Jim

I've had mine since September and it is awesome. Would buy it again in a second. No plastic gears, quiet, easily trammed, accurate, smooth running. Love it! The only problem is I broke a roll pin in the drawbar that holds a nut on the top. No big deal I have spare roll pins.
Dave

I've had mine since September and it is awesome. Would buy it again in a second. No plastic gears, quiet, easily trammed, accurate, smooth running. Love it! The only problem is I broke a roll pin in the drawbar that holds a nut on the top. No big deal I have spare roll pins.
Dave
Jim I agree with Dave, I like the mill and I would buy it again. I really like the power lift on the head, I use it all the time.

Dave/Harley how loud is it? I had a gear head years ago and it was quite LOUD at 2,000 just running not cutting. I have been looking at belt drive mills for this reason.

Dave/Harley how loud is it? I had a gear head years ago and it was quite LOUD at 2,000 just running not cutting. I have been looking at belt drive mills for this reason.

I was really surprised at how quiet it is. We could stand next to it while it is cutting and have a conversation without raising our voices. Grizzly has an upgrade of this same mill but with variable speed. I would consider that.

Back