Which Grizzly mill should I buy

Harleyscooter

Active User
Registered
I am new to maching and I want to get a mill, I will just be doing hobby work and I have no intention of converting to CNC. I was looking at the Grizzly G0704 then I saw the G0754 then I saw the G0755? I see the G0704 has a big fan club, but I want to get a mill that I won't want to upgrade in a year or so. For a little more money (really the same money if you add the power feed to the G0704) the G0754 is bigger with power feed but it has a round column, then a little more money the G0755 has power feed and the dovetail column. I just want to get the best machine I can in that price range. Thanks for any help you can give me.

HS,
I recomend that you get the largest table and most options that you can afford. The larger table and travel will increase you work envelope and make larger components for your projects. Power feed is nice since it is steady and that really helps surface finish in the long run. Tooling is the key. You want to study the way that the tools are installed and get the most suitable for the work you are planning to do. Some find a MT3 suitable, others prefer R8 and others something else. Look at the prices of tooling and try to decide which tools you will use most and go with the adapter method that you prefer. Also look carefully at the electrical requirements. If you dont have 3 phase power available and buy a 3 phase machine, then you will need a phase converter and those can be a bit pricey too. Do you have a hobby use planned already? Once you kind of decide what you want to do your options will become much more clear and one or possibly two machines will float to the top of the candidate pool pretty quickly. Sorry I dont have a specific buy this one type of answer, because every body's needs are just a little bi different and can affect the decision in many different ways. Were glad to have you as a member and hope that you find all the info you need to help you with your decision. Dont be shy either, ask any question anytime and some one will be glad to help you out pretty quick..

Bob

Those machine have nearly a 100% difference in price range... How about this, what kind of projects do you see yourself working on now and in the next 3 years? Is it a daily, weekly or monthly hobby that comes & goes? Think about materials... mainly aluminum or mainly steel? Finally think about about size... Are the pieces typically in the range of ounces to say 10lbs or possibly pieces usually upward of 10 lbs and going into the 30lb range?

The 0755 will handle all the above (and is basically what I have but made by a different company) but, it's 2x the cost of the others... They're apples & oranges...

I am new to maching and I want to get a mill, I will just be doing hobby work and I have no intention of converting to CNC. I was looking at the Grizzly G0704 then I saw the G0754 then I saw the G0755? I see the G0704 has a big fan club, but I want to get a mill that I won't want to upgrade in a year or so. For a little more money (really the same money if you add the power feed to the G0704) the G0754 is bigger with power feed but it has a round column, then a little more money the G0755 has power feed and the dovetail column. I just want to get the best machine I can in that price range. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I had one of the round column models it was OK but I myself would stay away from one of those again but the rest look good get as much bang for your buck!! Ray

I had one of the round column models it was OK but I myself would stay away from one of those again but the rest look good get as much bang for your buck!! Ray

I second the not getting a round column mill. You lose your zero every time you move the head up or down.
I currently have one, but next week I will be having a nice dovetailed column one delivered. THIS one to be precise.

Gary

I second the not getting a round column mill. You lose your zero every time you move the head up or down.
I currently have one, but next week I will be having a nice dovetailed column one delivered. THIS one to be precise.

Gary

That was also my experiance with the one I had if it would not be for that one annoying feature it was a pretty good machine otherwise. Nice new mill you have coming there I bet you will enjoy that one.. Ray

Thanks for all the good information, I will try to answer some of the questions, I will normally be working with steel that will be less than 10 pounds and it will be a hobby so the machine will sit alot of the time, but I would like to have a nice machine when I need it. The G0755 does push the budget but I can wait to get tooling and a vise if that means getting a better machine to start with.
Frank

Thanks for all the good information, I will try to answer some of the questions, I will normally be working with steel that will be less than 10 pounds and it will be a hobby so the machine will sit alot of the time, but I would like to have a nice machine when I need it. The G0755 does push the budget but I can wait to get tooling and a vise if that means getting a better machine to start with.
Frank

Check out what I wrote about the G0755 HERE.

Gary

Go with the 704. The only thing I'll add is agreeing to NOT recommend a round column mill. Yeah, some guys say it's not a big deal but why have to worry about it if you have a choice what to buy? Lots of happy G0604 customers out there and lots of info on them on the Web.

Thanks, I called Grizzly and they told me that the first order of G0754 and G0755 mills will not be in until at least the end of May. It looks like the G0704 may be my only option.

Back