Which Air hose.

He mentioned making his own...

I am going to give those Flexzilla Polyurethane Recoil Air Hose, 1/4 in. x 10 ft a try... I just ordered three to test them out.
I do not care for those hoses. I will be interested to hear what you think of it. I find that they are rather "sticky" and seem to be difficult to work with.
I have some off-brand of straight polyurethane hose that I bought at Farm & Fleet quite a few years ago which I use mostly for installing wood trim in houses. It seems like they will never just pull out straight, but are always catching on itself. I have a nice rubber hose for my compressor in the shop and that works flawlessly. I don't know why I keep using the polyurethane ones which usually just turns into a study of frustration for me.

I do not care for those hoses. I will be interested to hear what you think of it. I find that they are rather "sticky" and seem to be difficult to work with.
I have some off-brand of straight polyurethane hose that I bought at Farm & Fleet quite a few years ago which I use mostly for installing wood trim in houses. It seems like they will never just pull out straight, but are always catching on itself. I have a nice rubber hose for my compressor in the shop and that works flawlessly. I don't know why I keep using the polyurethane ones which usually just turns into a study of frustration for me.
Neil, on the poly, are you using that on a reel? I am considering short lengths, how do they catch on themselves? This is the info I was looking for.

I'm going to buy you some reading glasses, so you can read what I was asking... geez.. some help you were. Why don't you just bury me under all the crap while your at it. :steamroller:
Oh dang . Speaking of burying things , I have two large places I have to fill up . One of them will be filled with 160 landscape blocks and covered up with road grindings . The other , which is the enlarged garden , may have to take 10 yds of mulch and 10 yds of garden soil . Another idea was to load the garden up with a few cords of split poplar as a base . It will deteriorate in a year but I guess it would be beneficial to the garden soil . Whatever , the outside work is sure keeping my arse busy . :)

Neil, on the poly, are you using that on a reel? I am considering short lengths, how do they catch on themselves? This is the info I was looking for.
I am using the poly in long lengths. As I mentioned, the rubber hose I use on my compressor is great.
Using poly in short lengths like you are planning would most likely work out fine.
Quite honestly, I have not been impressed with the Flexilla brand.

Attachments

• IMG_20220422_094837741.jpg
    IMG_20220422_094837741.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220422_094846646.jpg
    IMG_20220422_094846646.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 5
I just realized those Flexilla are from China.... I somehow thought those were USA made... doggone-it! Argghh... I will use those until they break and get something else when @woodchucker posts what he ends up with...

Like him, I just want a short run next to the lathe and the milling machine...

don't let the made elsewhere sway you. I was just looking for made in usa.
Milton not all made in USA.
Coilhose not all made in USA.
Flexzilla not all made in USA.
it's going to be hard to get what you want.
I was disappointed in CoilHose, they are local to me. They used to be in middlesex, now in East Brunswick.

Also, as a point of reference, it should be noted that using compressed air to clean around lathes and mills is no bueno. Some of the older lathe manuals specifically mention this. The possibility of driving fine particles into places they should not be is a real concern.

YMMV

They make a mini version of the self-retracting hoses in 1/4 size. IMO not as convenient as a coil.

But I get it. You're tired of this:

6bl1lha03wy01.jpg

Also, as a point of reference, it should be noted that using compressed air to clean around lathes and mills is no bueno. Some of the older lathe manuals specifically mention this. The possibility of driving fine particles into places they should not be is a real concern.

YMMV
I am aware, I set my pressure down low, and I clean the lathe once a year. I am more about using it, then worrying totally about procedure. I am cleaning the cutting tip and inside a bore, and the spindle bore. So I believe I am being responsible.

Back