Where's my sign---- sunburn---????

Gary,
I feel your pain.... I too once made the mistake of not wearing ALL of my PPE andmy chest,belly and arms blistered ohh so vividly. After that I never forgot again. When I am welding a big project I even use sunblock on the back of my hands and neck below my helment to avoid the return of the burn. It's one of those things though, some dark skinned folks never have a problem, fair skinned folks get burned up so even though I am fairly dark I take steps to prevent a re-occurence because my Dr says that the kind of burns it produces are also more likely to become a cancer or melanoma. God knows I have enough health issues now, so I am very very carefull to avoid adding something new to the already too big pile of stuff I have to deal with. Good luck and don't forget to post up pics of your new welder and your projects too.
Bob

One thing I feel I need to add here is this, Never weld aluminum or stainless at 90-100 amp mig or tig without a #12 shade lens! There is so much reflective UV light coming back at you you can sunburn your retinas with a #10 or less. Check your adjustable auto darkening hood to make sure it didn't get bumped to a lower shade. I once was welding SS at 55 amps with a #8 lens (I needed a .060 bead) well the next time I had to weld SS I grabbed my Tig hood and off I went, well long story short after a few welds I ran into the house and my wife laughed at my "square sun burn around my eye's". Now I have had arc flash, it ain't no fun. Boy did I panic!

Welders flash no fun. Think you are over it go to bed later and Wake Up becuse somebody is sandpappering your eyes.
Not good the boss got it so bad he don't weld no more.
Best advice I can give drop your lid befor you start to weld.
Just Saying****************Gator***********

:nono:i do a lot of mig welding, have had lots of sun burn on my arms. my wife really gets ******, maybe i'll learn one of these days!

The worst burns I ever got, was mig welding, in shorts. Hasn't been that many years ago, either.

Burnt the insides of my thighs, shins, not to mention my valuables.:whistle:

Hurt like hell for weeks.

Talk about "ChestNuts roasting on an open fire".

It was one of those jobs where you think it will only take two minutes. Then, you start looking at the project from different angles.....then decide it needs just a little more.......and you forget about the shorts.....................

I used to be a pipefitter for a pipeline company, and flsh burns were just a normal occurance. if you ever get that sandpaperd eye feeling smear a light thin layer of VICKS vapo rub under your eyes before bed. It will pull the burn and the red out of them.

Back