Where's my sign---- sunburn---????

Gary Max

Active User
Registered
Not to long ago I bought a my first Mig welder. Last weekend I made the time to rebuild the ramps on my 18ft trailer. By far the biggest project I have taken on but my welds are looking better. I spent the better part of a day cutting the old ramps up and building new ones. By the time I was done I had a severe red neck sunburn. I now have a hood/neck drape on the way-----I would of never thought about getting sunburned welding.:whiteflag:

Gary , you might want to get one of the light weight welding jackets as the light can penetrate thin clothing. The light weight jackets beat heavy leather in the summer too.

One of the worst welding burns I ever got was right at the base of my throat. Where my hood stopped and my jacket was supposed to be. I had unbuttoned the top button on a break because it was hot and forgot to button it back. Welded for about 3 hours. I had about a 1 inch triangle blister. Hurt for weeks. But I never did that again.

Jeff

See HoMer----- I told you I wasn't the first person to do this-----------:rofl:

Ditto! I did the same exact thing.... Very common welding error.

And if you use sleeve-type arm covers, make sure your biceps stay covered. -Got me a nasty burn there too so I don't use them now and just stick with a dedicated welding jacket. This is a good one for summer: http://www.bakersgas.com/REVBX9C.html And in the winter when I want to protect my winter work coats, I have the same style a couple sizes bigger to fit over other clothes.

And my dogs freak-out when I wear this: http://store.cyberweld.com/tilewehe...6c6577656865&gclid=CNqP7f2jnbUCFcyf4Aod9ikAHQ

Ray

One of the worst welding burns I ever got was right at the base of my throat. Where my hood stopped and my jacket was supposed to be. I had unbuttoned the top button on a break because it was hot and forgot to button it back. Welded for about 3 hours. I had about a 1 inch triangle blister. Hurt for weeks. But I never did that again.

Jeff

Mig is bad but not as bad as TIG. I was welding a tuna tower on a hot summer day {100° +} in flip flops and cooked the top of my feet from the flash. Won't do that again. :rofl:
***********Just Saying*************Gator***************

I second TIG welding aluminum as about the worst for UV burns. First time I did it in a short sleeve shirt since TIG hardly ever splatters. Never again. It seems the reflectivity (if that's a real word) of new aluminum really causes problems.

Guess I better order a jacket also---- the mailman just delivered my first two 1lb rolls of Alum wire.

-----I would of never thought about getting sunburned welding.:whiteflag:

I guest my sign should be in "BOLD and ALL CAPS". I took welding classes and we were taught about the burns.

Back in the summer I was building a small project that had more cutting, fitting, drilling, and tapping than welding and it was hot. I normally wear heavy cotton long sleave shirts for welding. Did I mention it was hot. It was hot so I had on a short sleave shirt and just put the welding hood on for the quick welds. I got heavy sunburns on the neck, hands and arms. :nono::anyone: I finally learned and I won't do that again!

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

Back