Where to find Kilz Hammerite Mid Green or Rust-Oleum Verde Green

I bought several cans of hammered green… It is the the Verde Green that I can’t find.

I am restoring an old mid-80s milling machine and actually found a great link to the color that I want on this site (too new to post link) and was ecstatic to find a good color match for what is the same machine (different name only).

It seems that Kilz doesn't make Hammerite, so found that RustOleum Verde Green is pretty close and that is also impossible to find.

Can someone help me here. This is my first restoration project. How can I find those colors? Not looking to deviate too much from the original color.

Thanks
Alain
A couple of thoughts about paint...
I never use rattle cans on machinery. It just isn't as durable as paint from a can.
If you have spray equipment that is the way to go. Add a hardener to the paint for best results.
I do have spray equipment but on old machines I do not spray.
You can still get a great finish with a good quality "china bristle" brush which is what I usually do.
Matching paint is not that hard.
Below is a color match I did here.
These are parts off my drill press.
The round part is the fan cover off the motor and is the original green paint.
The other part is the arm that attaches the table to the column. I mixed that color using a medium blue, a medium yellow and a wee bit of light gray.
If you experiment with it you can get it pretty close.
The second photo is an old arbor press I am freshening up.
I used a medium Rustoleum gray that I added a little medium blue to. Again, done with a china bristle brush.

Attachments

• cvphoto148167.jpg
    cvphoto148167.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2024-01-24_07_44_21.jpg
    2024-01-24_07_44_21.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 9
A couple of thoughts about paint...
I never use rattle cans on machinery. It just isn't as durable as paint from a can.
If you have spray equipment that is the way to go. Add a hardener to the paint for best results.
I do have spray equipment but on old machines I do not spray.
You can still get a great finish with a good quality "china bristle" brush which is what I usually do.
Below is a color match I did here.
These are parts off my drill press.
The round part is the fan cover off the motor and is the original green paint.
The other part is the arm that attaches the table to the column. I mixed that color using a medium blue, a medium yellow and a wee bit of light gray.
If you experiment with it you can get it pretty close.
The second photo is an old arbor press I am freshening up.
I used a medium Rustoleum gray that I added a little medium blue to. Again, done with a china bristle brush.
I mostly agree.. A it's easier to do complicated parts by brush, you just have a paper towel or cotton swab and mineral spirits to clean off any paint that gets on a machined surface like a way .

I do brush a lot of machinery, and like @Ultradog MN says, a GOOD QUALITY china bristle brush, don't use a chip brush. I use quality Purdy brushes. They just hold and lay the paint better than a cheap brush.. just clean it good when you are done and you have a brush ready for the next time.

For best results use a primer.. I have short cutted that on occasion, and it shows. Do yourself a favor use a primer, and wait for it to be completely dry and then sand it lightly, or for a concours finish, sand it, and rinse and repeat until you can run your hand across and feel the beauty.

I mostly agree.. A it's easier to do complicated parts by brush, you just have a paper towel or cotton swab and mineral spirits to clean off any paint that gets on a machined surface like a way .

I do brush a lot of machinery, and like @Ultradog MN says, a GOOD QUALITY china bristle brush, don't use a chip brush. I use quality Purdy brushes. They just hold and lay the paint better than a cheap brush.. just clean it good when you are done and you have a brush ready for the next time.

For best results use a primer.. I have short cutted that on occasion, and it shows. Do yourself a favor use a primer, and wait for it to be completely dry and then sand it lightly, or for a concours finish, sand it, and rinse and repeat until you can run your hand across and feel the beauty.

X2 on the Purdy brushes.
I didn't mention it but yes, always prime first!
I just use Rustoleum primer in the can. You gotta be patient if you are going to sand it smooth as that takes a couple of days but if you are patient it does a nice job of it.
I've owned a bunch of Ford tractors over the past 25 years - bought, sold, parted out, etc.
I always shot those with a gun.
The photo below is my little 3000 Ford. The paint gets used and abused, especially while mowing heavy brush. I wanted to spruce up the paint on it a little last summer so I gave it a slap dash, 20/20 paint job with a brush.
Looks good from 20' or 20 mph.

Attachments

• 2024-01-24_12_29_36.jpg
    2024-01-24_12_29_36.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 9
Might be worth calling these guys to see if their website is current...

WHAT? How dare you! Where? What's your address? LOL
I am on SW 116th Street Road! :D

I loaded up on John Deere yellow and green for the1967 112 JD tractor restoration that I am doing. And since most of my tools/machines are Rust Oleum Hammered Green, I buy them all when I see them in stock...

Spray stash-1.jpeg

Spray Stash-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jeff is correct that you won't find it. It is a dead ringer for Wilton vise restorations. I have one new spray can of it. I am hoping to use it on my vise.

Someone over on Garage Journal (I think) posted that they had talked to Rustoleum and the rumor is that they might bring it back next month (Feb 2024). I am not holding my breath, but it sure would be nice if they did. It is used on a lot of things, including my Enco horizontal bandsaw. Maybe we should bombard Rustoleum with requests for it.
I saw the same post over there... fingers crossed...

Well for me it's a total mystery, wouldn't know much where to start.

But I finally found some green Hammerite quarts (can not spray) but this is not the green I really wanted. Wish I mastered the art of mixing to get it closer to the original.

As you suggested (and others around this forum), I will be using a good bristle and painting it manually.

Back