Where To Buy Metal

Try and get to know someone at a small scrapyard , first by dropping off metal to recycle . I get all kinds of angle , square , round , flat stock , plate , in 6061 , steel , 304 ss .
Small fab shops often drop off after a production run and you can get piles of new metal for very cheap .
Alum is around 50 cents/lb , stainess about 55 cents , steel is about 1/4 that . Then they usually have a tin pile you can get all kinds of things to build with .
I think if you go to one of the larger corporate type recyclers they may not be as keen to let you "pick" ...
If you we're in northeast PA i could help you out ...Pheonix is a bit far though ...haha I think i'm the only HM member in northeast PA ;-)

Ivyland, Bucks County. Southeastern PA Howdy neighbor (almost).

Just a :encourage: for http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Yesterday I ordered a 4'' x 5'' x 12'' chunk of 6061 for my next project and got it today. I normally get overnight service from UPS when things are shipped from Seattle vendor warehouses, so not too much of a surprize there.

Not only fast service, but a reasonable price also. I have been getting pretty beat up on price by another large metal vendor chain that has a local warehouse so I decided to try someone new.

Just a :encourage: for http://www.onlinemetals.com/

I have been getting pretty beat up on price by another large metal vendor chain that has a local warehouse so I decided to try someone new.
Jim , you should check out some local scrap yards . I get chunks like that , in 6061 and sometimes 7075(non weldable) for 50 - 55 cents a pound . I've also hit up some of the local fab shops in a pinch , brought a scale and bought cutoffs . They are not getting 50-55 cents a pound when they bring to a recycler , sometimes they'll help out . Love to see what you're gonna make with that chunk !

I did stop by the only scrap yard in the area, no joy there. :( There is only one place in the area that lets you scrounge around. Nobody else will.

I'll post that project later, it's a bearing retainer for a powered ball nut. Actually I'm only going to use a 4x4x5 piece of it. I normally buy extra just to put on the rack for the next project.

Here in NJ , We have a place called fazzios,, he buys liquidations and I don't know where and what. But he has Hugh building , buildings from New metals to machinery of every kind nuts bolts ,$1.00 a pound and up. Sheets of steel ,angle iron , all shapes and sizes. Plus he's got cutoffs shorts . Welding supplies , just everything you could think or want. I've dealt with him for twenty plus years . Very fair on prices too. You couldn't look at everything in three days I bet. He has an eBay store too but no metal on there. He also has aluminum some brass, exotics too. They cut and bend , punch holes at a price also.
He's located in Turnersville NJ ,,, south Jersey.

Doylestown, bucks county, pa. Looks like JP and I are pretty close neighbors.

When I lived near Medford OR there was a scrap metal yard I would wander through. A metal hobbyist dream with steel @$.50/lb. In Portland OR I have not yet found such a place. The aluminum and steel in H Depot is shockingly high. Currently the scrap steel commodity market has sunk very low, but when we hobbyists will benefit is anyone's guess. Meanwhile look for neighbors who scrap out their bed frames.

There's a place called The Steel Yard on Columbia Blvd that sells steel remnants by the lb. It's a bit hit or miss there, but I've bought stuff there for years. They might have moved recently and I think
they changed their name to The Standard Steel Companies. Metals Supermarket is located near the airport: they aren't cheap but they will sell small quantities and they have a room with cutoffs
that they sell by the lb. If you have a milling machine you might have a look: they usually have some nice blocks of aluminum they've cut off. Online Metals in Seattle is another place I've used.
They also will sell small quantities of stuff, and carry a wide range of materials.

Back