Where do I start grizzly G9748 milling & drilling machine

Just to make sure it's clear, a VFD *IS* a phase converter. And a few other things as well. Smaller units are cheap on ebay, I bought a 2HP for about $70 shipped with a ebay coupon, think it was $15 off...

I'm not sure what size motor you are dealing with, but you need to size the VFD to match. If you can post a pic of the motor nameplate, it should have everything we need to know. A VFD is generally more efficient than the older phase converters, particularly the rotary type. It also gives you variable speeds. I used mine on a belt grinder and I can run from about 100 RPM to about 3500 RPM. There are some other features as @tweinke mentioned, but some of them require extra parts like a braking resistor, depending on the model of VFD.

Most of them don't convert the voltage directly, just the phases. So for a 220V feed, you need a 220V motor. Most 3 phase machines hobby users would use are either 220V or 220/440 set by changing some wiring.

Ok. Since the phase converter is paid for and shipped already. VFD will be list of future upgrades. Got to gather needed electrical supplies . That is $ s money going out.
Wan reenforce cabinet sheet metal for added support around top.

Are the pipe nipple fuses on the machine or ? :fireman:

OK
yesterday, I received my "only one last one manual for the grizzly G9748 mill & drill "
For $ 30.+- I received a generic copy with no names of the RONG FU 45/45N milling and drilling machine.

Well at least I now know I can still find parts for this .
FYI
last entry for DOVETAIL milling and drilling machines in yahoo groups is back in 2015. bet they will enjoy my stories and adventures. ?

Back