Where do I start grizzly G9748 milling & drilling machine

casca92

MURPHY:Was an optimist ,when compared to me
H-M Supporter Gold Member
ok, several weeks ago I was set to purchase a RONG FU 45 bench mill. Nope when my buddy and I showed up it was a SWEET running Grizzly G9748 milling and drilling machine. with 1hp motor.
grizzly has a G9748 manual listed for $28.?? but no picture what is my chance that it is the correct one I want ? I got a stack of binders with the mill but not the EXACT MODEL. DUH!! similar.
It is a 3 phase mill I have a phase a matic PAM 300Hd phase converter on its way .
I don't have 220v. in garage so I want to run wire ( what size best ) from 200 amp service to my detached garage but I have a 4 inch access pipe running under ground between them under concrete. I want to add a breaker box in garage for the 220v power, then run to phase converter and mill. is this correct way to plan this . will be running less than 60 to 80 feet of wire. how many AMPS will i need to power this up and not burn the house down.

next is there anyone who maybe willing later to assist me learning or schooling me on this mill ? any peculiar oddities I may need to know

Are you going to use the 220v service just for the mill? The phase converter will dictate the wire size needed- can you get a copy of the manual online and check the current requirements?
Mark

YES, MY LATHE is a jet 9x20 110v
but the mill will be only item on this line- run my welder from generator
phase converter is a phase a matic 300HD
cant find manual online ? looking into order from grizzly.KINDA don't like similar want the real MCCOY in hand. unless similar is all there is.
thanx

the static converter is good up to 3 hp
Phase a matic is recommending a 20 amp circuit on 12 gauge wire
that recommendation is for 50 feet or less of wire, the rating drops to 18 amps past 50 ft
12 may still be sufficient past 50 ft since your motor will be less drawing less than 3 hp current
if you are running multiple motors, go with 10 gauge

you may wish to put the starting leg on a momentary switch, to keep the repetitive starting every time the voltage dips during working cycles
it will save your motor and your converter

Don't stop , I am listening would 10ga be of any benefit I want to add an additional breaker box in garage so if circuit
breaks don't want to go into house to reset Is this correct thinking ?

thanx

you can safely pull 25 amps for the lengths you are talking wirth 10 ga wire
yes another box could be helpful in putting plugs or outlet and saving you trips back to the main panel

If it were me with your setup, I would run #8 or #6 (4 conductor) into a subpanel in the garage. Then 12 to a dryer outlet for the mill, or hard wire, but I like being able to to unplug things. And some extra 110V circuits as needed. Size breakers based on the wire size and don't forget to use a breaker where you pull the main feed from your main breaker box.

I figure my power needs in the shop are far more likely to be going up, not down. Might as well do it right. And you get closer breakers when you do pop one.

If you aren't familiar with all this, you might want to hire an electrician to at least check it out before turning it on, whichever way you go.

I have successfully found the only manual left at grizzly for G9748 milling & drilling machine.
1 reason the model was discontinued because it was a 3 phase machine.
THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES.

I agree with ttabbal above - you have a 4" access pipe already, pull at least #8 wire - remember all of the things in a shop on this line - and you might have more than one on at a time (think friend over "helping"). Also, lighting / heating / cooling as the case / seasons dictate. Please don't size the wire for any SINGLE machine. You will eventually need more!

+2 on the 8 gage and sub-panel. You can run 30 amps through #8, but you can't push 40A through #10. I wouldn't make this run of wire the limitation for a good shop.

Back