When you head out to the shop ... ?

My shop includes a 13' x 10' "office" which includes my CAD computer, 24"x36" surface plate and my electronics bench & supplies. That office has it's own mini-split so easy enough to keep it warm/cool. The shop itself includes a woodstove with my wife's lounge chair and coffee (and other beverage) table.

In more detail, I tend to wander out to the shop first thing in the morning and spend some time in the office pondering what to do for the day. Mid morning I leave and head over to the barns to help with morning feeding which usually runs into lunch. After lunch is my get'er done time, my wife and I typically tackle things together, be it yard work, home remodeling, farm maintenance, or some task in the shop. She was helping grout the crane posts over the weekend. Evenings after dinner and barn chores is time for shop clean-up, pondering, or maybe some CAD work in FreeCAD or Kicad depending on what I have going on.
sounds like you are very busy, and have a routine because of the farm... That's great.. it keeps you going.. I know it also cuts into your own time.. but having to do things in retirement is what keeps you from getting too sedentary.

I spend 100% of my time making room in the machine area , either the garage , the basement , or the other basement . Major progress has been made and it always leads to outdoor activities with the warmer weather we've had . Outdoor activities are done as today . The yards are done , the wall is done , the firewood is done , the zero turn will fit into the garage once again , I loaded machines on Craigslist , the garden is cleaned out , all metal is sorted and headed to the scrapper next weekend . Im making my year end trip up to the property Wed and will bring home all the scrap steel up there and get it down to Owl Metals over the weekend . I have the word out for a 12 or 13" Clausing lathe that I would buy . Still searching for space but it's getting exciting seeing empty floor space . Hope to purchase an item from @Arcstar while up this week . @Mill Lee farm , should be back Friday .
I don't believe you have empty floor... Where are the pics?
You know the rules... pics or it didn't happen. For years I have been hearing about this cleanup thing... so I am highly skeptical...
And enjoy having a good time with your predicament. :laughing:

So 2 square feet is an improvement . :grin: Once it's cleared it is filled up with things that SHOULD be in the garage . Got plenty of pics also . I know the rules .

So 2 square feet is an improvement . :grin: Once it's cleared it is filled up with things that SHOULD be in the garage . Got plenty of pics also . I know the rules .
but the last time you showed us pics you had 8 square feet...
I can do the math... 8-2=6 you lost 6 sq feet of space...

You are going in the wrong direction... no wonder this has been a 3,4,5, 8 year project.
:surrender:

So 2 square feet is an improvement . :grin: Once it's cleared it is filled up with things that SHOULD be in the garage .
Hey! I have to back him up here! :eagerness: Clearing floor space to then fill it with assets from outside… that should have been inside… is definitely progress!!!:cool:

I’m not at that point yet :eek:
However! I did close a deal with a co-worker to sell him my Grizzly G0619!!!! That should free up maybe 4sq/ft?!? ……as soon as he makes 4 sq/ft of room in HIS garage so we can move it there…. :rolleyes:

As for me… my ‘hobby machining’ time is 100% shop setup time, which has mostly been failed organization attempts and space clearing….
My machines have yet to spin in anger…

New (old) guy on the site. Just came across this older thread, and said to myself, self that sounds like me. Go out to the garage/shop, and the next thing I know I'm tinkering with little stuff that needs to get done, just not what I had intended to do. Like today, rearrange the machines, but got distracted and did some welding instead. Oh well what can I say...

Back