When do you realize you work for free ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I work 40 hrs a week . You take 20% out for 401K and 25 % out for taxes I make X amount . I retire and collect SS and withdrawl 2 % of IRAs and 401Ks and its a break //////////////////////////even number . I like what I do , but damn , why does my paycheck go to taxes when it doesn't have to ? Time for a meeting with the FA . :dunno:

But 20% is going to 401K! That is yours...

Be glad you are saving... lots of folks that do not plan their financial retirement...

To me, this is a very positive thread :)

Maybe teach us younger folks what we need or should do. I’m 45 put 10% into 401 no debt just try and bank everything I can. Markets scare me I work to hard for it to loose it. I’d flip seeing my saving lost to the markets. So what do I do?

But 20% is going to 401K! That is yours...
And hopefully your employer is matching a portion of that.

When I last worked for a large employer (Shell Development), it wasn't until I quit that I realized how much I was actually making. I kept receiving checks from this and that for months afterwards.

I have known several people who were self-employed and pulled every trick in the book to minimize their taxable income. Now they whine about how small their Social Security checks are.

I work 40 hrs a week . You take 20% out for 401K and 25 % out for taxes I make X amount . I retire and collect SS and withdrawl 2 % of IRAs and 401Ks and its a break //////////////////////////even number . I like what I do , but damn , why does my paycheck go to taxes when it doesn't have to ? Time for a meeting with the FA . :dunno:
Not sure how it works in the states, but we pay taxes for our social programs and various public works.

Airports? Taxes.

Roads? Taxes

Health care? Taxes.

National defense? Taxes.

Disability payments? Taxes.

Sewer? Taxes.

Water? Taxes.

Police? Taxes.

Fire? Taxes.

Etc.

Sucks, but the alternative isn't exactly "attractive" either.

My tax rate is closer to 42% when federal and provincial is combined (make too much, even retired), so 25% actually sounds pretty good.......I try not to even think about what the percentage of my income is tax if you consider things like sales tax, licensing fees, etc.

It's nothing surprising for me to owe somewhere around an additional (over what I already pay monthly) 10-15K when tax time rolls around.

Modern life is many things, but it certainly isn't free. Someone has to pay the bills.....I guess that's me......:(

Last edited:
I would think now is a good time to invest in the market it's at a 20% discount. When the cavalry comes the market will rebound, I'm down ~150K, and my 401K allowance is not draining the principal(too much) so the loss is on paper, and will recover, I just hope it does not take a long time. :)

If you're going to keep working, I'd suggest maxing out your retirement savings in every way possible. Especially now while the market is down.

But if you can retire now on 2% of retirement savings at a break even, there really isn't much reason to keep working. Unless you think retirement will not be as fun as working. And I hate to be morose, but as a fellow cancer survivor so far, most of the standard tables on expected lifespan that financial advisors base their advise on may be a little optimistic.

Last edited:
:grin: My FA said at my future expected rate of withdrawal I should have enough money to survive into my 90s, if it stays like this I may need to die earlier.....

I was lucky to have a boss that was also a caring person who harped on me to max out my 401K and start a taxable brokerage too. He harped on "indexed funds" too. I didn't really know what those were, but I learned. That was in my early 20's. I eventually followed his advice. Because of that, I could have easily retired at 50, if I had wanted to. I didn't make huge $$ either. As far as the markets being scary, "all" you have to do is avoid looking at them with short-term goggles. If you plan to retire in 15-20+ years, don't bother looking at charts less than that. Some might even say don't look at less than 30 years as your money still can grow after retirement. You can't lose money until you sell. Also, even with low inflation, there is huge risk in keeping cash in the bank. Say inflation is 2.5% and the bank is paying you 0.1% interest, all of that 2.5% and the missed opportunity for higher growth (stocks) is being flushed down the drain. That loss is real and it is practically guaranteed. [Edit: And these days, 10%!]

In my mind: Retirement success =
Have something to retire to. Not just Netflix... Stay interested, and busy. We have the perfect hobby for that. Maybe even help others with your free time.

Save as much as you can.

Learn a little about low cost index funds. Google is your friend. Vanguard, Fidelity and Schaub all have good learning resources on their web sites. It ain't rocket science.

Live below your means. Still have fun because you never know what is coming around the next corner but avoid keeping up with Joneses.
Did your friends all just buy shiny new bass boats? I bet they would like your company on those boats. You don't really need one. Would it really be $30K more fun to have your own? (Guessing, since I've never owned a bass boat.)

Don't pay some "guru" 1-2% annually to do practically nothing for you. Look for funds with low cost, more like 0.03% is pretty good.
(Say you're retired and taking out 3%/year. If you are paying 1%/year to a supposed guru, that is 1/3 of your withdrawals EVERY year. What could you do with 50% more available cash every year? I know what the guru is doing with your money... bigger boat, longer vacations etc.)

Don't pay front loads or purchase fees or sale fees. (Eg. Vanguard, Fidelity, Schaub offer lots of low-cost, non-loaded funds)

Take advantage of tax-deferred (IRA/401K etc.) and Roth plans. Especially don't miss employer matching if available. Can you say "double some of your savings for free."?

Decide what sort of market fluctuations you can take. Balance your stocks/bonds so it makes the dips so you can ride them out.
Never, never, sell low unless you have no other choice.

In retirement (and before) keep an emergency fund in something safe. Some people are ok with 6 months, others try for longer. This helps you not have to "sell low".

I'm sure there are other best practices but I thought I was running at the mouth already.
Sorry for the rant, but hope it may help someone.

Last edited:
Back