Whatzit?

Edit: A rough cut 2x2 will not enter, corners too sharp and won't clear the radius. A modern SFS 2x2 goes in but rattles around in the square, about 1/8" clearance. I suppose an older one might fit. It does not have the patina I usually associate with woodworking tools.

Asking here but don't the exotic wood suppliers measure rough cuts by 1/8"? So a full inch would be "8/8s", and an inch and a half would be "12/8s"?

It could be most anything. My guess is someone had a large batch of big square nuts to make, so they made this fixture.

Asking here but don't the exotic wood suppliers measure rough cuts by 1/8"? So a full inch would be "8/8s", and an inch and a half would be "12/8s"?

It could be most anything. My guess is someone had a large batch of big square nuts to make, so they made this fixture.
Well, perhaps, but the "spindle" size is nothing I have found in my searching except on one model British screw machine, there is no means of securing a square nut, and no signs of wear in the square hole. The only signs of use on the "tool" is rubbing/heat(?) marks on the O.D. of the cylindrical outside surface. Numbers like 4/4 is how hardwoods are sized, 4/4 would be nominal 1" stock. I am not familiar with numbers like 8/8. It is an interesting piece, and difficult to identify so far. Thanks for your thoughts.

That may be what I was thinking Bob, thanks.

Until the coffee starts flowing I can't say what is 4s or 8s. :coffee:

Back