Whatzit?

Bob Korves

Platinum
Rest In Peace
The spindle thread is 1-3/8"-6 TPI with register. O.D. is 3.5", height just under 3". The square hole is 1-1/2" across the flats and has small radii in the corners. I looked on the web and the only thing I found with a 1-3/8-6 spindle is a British Wickman screw machine. I did not see anything on that machine that might use it. It looks shop made, but nicely done. Scribed layout lines are visible. Steel, not hardened. It came with a lot of old vintage tools I purchased.SAM_1341.JPG SAM_1342.JPG SAM_1345.JPG

If anyone knows what it is, let's hear it. If someone has a real use for it, I will let it go for the cost of shipping. I do not want to ship it so it can grace some member's scrap pile, I can do that here...

Anybody?

Possibly something for a wood lathe to turn square material, such as pen blanks.

I thought of that, too, Andre, but did not find a wood lathe with that spindle thread. Still, might be, or possibly used for making balusters. There appears to be some rubbing on the O.D. -- belt or something?

Edit: A rough cut 2x2 will not enter, corners too sharp and won't clear the radius. A modern SFS 2x2 goes in but rattles around in the square, about 1/8" clearance. I suppose an older one might fit. It does not have the patina I usually associate with woodworking tools.

Last edited:
Looks like it fits the spindle on a small lathe, possibly a Southbend. (mine has a 2.375-6 pitch nose) And of course, it's a hootus for square thing-a-ma-bobs!

Indeed, Paul, but I could not find a lathe with that spindle thread... 1-3/8-6 is a standard NC bolt thread, but there is a register and it just looks like it should fit a lathe spindle.

Is the OD of the cylinder tapered?
If so what is the top and bottom and the distance between those measurements?
Then we can calculate the taper?

Do taps come large enough to have a 1.5inch square shank?

Also gotta like a draw bar that has a 1.375x6 thread! But then the taper should go the other way...

Daryl
MN

Is the OD of the cylinder tapered?
If so what is the top and bottom and the distance between those measurements?
Then we can calculate the taper?

Do taps come large enough to have a 1.5inch square shank?

Also gotta like a draw bar that has a 1.375x6 thread! But then the taper should go the other way...

Daryl
MN
No taper, Daryl. I have two 2" pipe taps that fit the square hole a little loosely. My 2-1/2" pipe tap has a 1-11/16" square shank, too big.
Edit: The biggest straight thread taps I have are 1-1/2" thread size, and the shanks look about 1".

Thought my big taps were 1 1/2"..turns out only 1"

Last edited by a moderator:
Then custom bushing removal tool an arbor press?

Daryl
MN

Back