What's your favorite western movie?

At the risk of high jacking this thread - what about books? I love and have read all, or close to it, Louis L'Amour's books. The series on The Sacketts is my favorite. I believe they made a movie about them. I'm sure I've seen it, but I don't remember.
If you like musicals - flame shields on - Oklahoma is one of, if not the greatest, ever made. Rodgers and Hammerstein outdid themselves!
As for Blazing Saddles - it's a classic. I remember a meme or the like saying if they played it today, they'd have to edit it, and it would only be about a minute long.
My preference would be "Saratoga Trunk" over "Oklahoma". To say Blazing Saddles was a "classic" would be an understatement. Either is worth the efforts to have in my library. (300+ DVDs) But not my "favorite" by a long stretch.

In my print library there is a set of "Harvard Classics". Part 1913 printing, part 1915. But a full set none the less. And a first printing of Sam Clemons on fingerprinting, I disremember the title. But in my old age, I can't sit for hours reading like I used to. With only one partially functional eye and my mind "over active", movies are a relief where I can pause when I need to and pick it up later. Like marking a page in a book, but less clutter around me.

I really don't think of you hijacking the thread. My earlier comment about general plots was a drift from the core comments. Westerns have their place, historicaly they provide access to some actions that are frowned on by modern society. Many modern movies, Men In Black comes to mind, are "shoot 'em up" westerns set in the modern era.

War movies fit in the same catagory, some are re-enactments of real war, some (most) are just a place where one jumps from one "shoot 'em up" to another. Most true war scenarios are months of boredom, waiting and preparing, with a few minutes of action.

I often follow the lead actor more than the scenario. James Stewart is a favorite, I will watch any movie with James Stewart at least once. If I like it, western or otherwise, I will go to the effort to acquire a copy, usually a DVD. As it happens, one of my favorite Stewart films is a western, about a railroad. There isn't much shooting, mostly just the finagling of the robber barons against the working man. On occasion, like this one they work together. On others, the robber baron takes a fall. That's what movies do.

I always thought "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" was an interesting take on the standard western - Not the usual type theme, for sure .......

My preference would be "Saratoga Trunk" over "Oklahoma". To say Blazing Saddles was a "classic" would be an understatement. Either is worth the efforts to have in my library. (300+ DVDs) But not my "favorite" by a long stretch.

In my print library there is a set of "Harvard Classics". Part 1913 printing, part 1915. But a full set none the less. And a first printing of Sam Clemons on fingerprinting, I disremember the title. But in my old age, I can't sit for hours reading like I used to. With only one partially functional eye and my mind "over active", movies are a relief where I can pause when I need to and pick it up later. Like marking a page in a book, but less clutter around me.

I really don't think of you hijacking the thread. My earlier comment about general plots was a drift from the core comments. Westerns have their place, historicaly they provide access to some actions that are frowned on by modern society. Many modern movies, Men In Black comes to mind, are "shoot 'em up" westerns set in the modern era.

War movies fit in the same catagory, some are re-enactments of real war, some (most) are just a place where one jumps from one "shoot 'em up" to another. Most true war scenarios are months of boredom, waiting and preparing, with a few minutes of action.

I often follow the lead actor more than the scenario. James Stewart is a favorite, I will watch any movie with James Stewart at least once. If I like it, western or otherwise, I will go to the effort to acquire a copy, usually a DVD. As it happens, one of my favorite Stewart films is a western, about a railroad. There isn't much shooting, mostly just the finagling of the robber barons against the working man. On occasion, like this one they work together. On others, the robber baron takes a fall. That's what movies do.

I've not heard of Saratoga Trunk. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

There's a lot to choose from, of course; a few eclectic favorites not yet mentioned:

Hud (best actor award, Paul Newman)
The Far Country
Broken Arrow (Jimmy Stewart one, not Travolta)
High Noon
How the West Was Won
Cat Ballou (Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye narrating)

Skin Game with James Garner and Lois Gossett, Jr.

Getting a bit modern, I suppose, but this one was fun.

Bi11hudson, you are so right abut James Stewart.
He is believable in any role he’s in.
He didn’t have to play the macho swaggering tough guy in westerns like some other actors.
In real life where it counts, he was a bona fied hero, a great role model.

A passing thought, my mind is a little(!) slow these days. In addition to Saratoga Trunk, there is also "Show Boat". A great movie but probably politically sensitive these days.

OK, here's one that I bet many haven't seen, or maybe just wanted to forget they watched it ;~)
It's "Pancho Villa", with Telly Savalas as Pancho, Clint Walker, Chuck Connors, and even Ann Francis - It's an absolute hoot !
The movie is a total satire, and has to be viewed in that light - A lot of fun to see these actors together.

"Pancho Villa" sounds like a hidden gem of a Western movie! Sometimes it's those lesser-known films that bring a unique charm and enjoyment. I'll have to check it out for some light-hearted fun. Thanks for the recommendation!

Back