What's your favorite western movie?

My favorite movie isn't a western, probably an older John Wayne picture would fit better. But my favorite of all time would be "Cool Hand Luke".
Westerns as such don't get me all that stirred up. In other genres, there is "Sand Pebbles". I saw that one when it was first released. Then "Jeramiah Johnson", which really isn't a western. Like "Paint your Wagon", they are set in 19th century wild west environments, but aren't "shoot 'em up" westerns.

The problem I have for each one is there are scenes cut from each one to make production DVDs. The cut scenes are the reason I acquired the DVDs to start with. One that sticks in my mind is where Jerimiah Johnson is out with the old mountain man and asks "what time it is". The old mountain man replied "March, maybe April". Paint Your Wagon is a statement on civilisation in general, and well worth watching a couple times a year.

I have, and watch repeatedly, "Josie Wales". As a conservative southerner, I don't consider the character to be an "outlaw", just a man doing what comes necessary. The same with John Wayne, in "Angel and the Bad Man". An older JW film that holds several surprises.

At the risk of high jacking this thread - what about books? I love and have read all, or close to it, Louis L'Amour's books. The series on The Sacketts is my favorite. I believe they made a movie about them. I'm sure I've seen it, but I don't remember.

If you like musicals - flame shields on - Oklahoma is one of, if not the greatest, ever made. Rodgers and Hammerstein outdid themselves!

As for Blazing Saddles - it's a classic. I remember a meme or the like saying if they played it today, they'd have to edit it, and it would only be about a minute long.

Back