What's the proper cutting fluid

Yup. Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem.:nuts:

i got my share of 1-1-1,:nuts::nuts:

i loved that stuff- for cleaning, there was no equal!!!!
sadly the really good cleaners will kill you, benzine solvents were good too.:bawling:

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I guess it's all a matter of "taste", I may go with the bacon grease! I generally go pretty slow drilling out a barrel because I don't want to break the drill bit, at $75 a pop, I hope to have them a looong time. The machine tools class I took didn't use any lubricant except for tapping. I thought the blue chips were prettier! Now I know better.

Thanks again,

i got my share of 1-1-1,:nuts::nuts:

i loved that stuff- for cleaning, there was no equal!!!!
sadly the really good cleaners will kill you, benzine solvents were good too.:bawling:

We had huge tanks of 1,1,1-Trichloroethane at work for cleaning parts before repairing. I loved the smell of the stuff which was hard to avoid with your head hung in a tank getting out parts!! We were told after many years it was bad for us and they took out the tanks. If it causes cancer it is going to have to compete with my heavy asbestos exposure if it wants to kill me. I still have 3 cans of Chroma-Tap I use for special tapping projects only. Hope the chemical cops don't raid my garage and take it and my asbestos hard board and cloth!!

We had huge tanks of 1,1,1-Trichloroethane at work for cleaning parts before repairing. I loved the smell of the stuff which was hard to avoid with your head hung in a tank getting out parts!! We were told after many years it was bad for us and they took out the tanks. If it causes cancer it is going to have to compete with my heavy asbestos exposure if it wants to kill me. I still have 3 cans of Chroma-Tap I use for special tapping projects only. Hope the chemical cops don't raid my garage and take it and my asbestos hard board and cloth!!

While it's best not to breath 1,1,1-trichloroethane the main reason it has been outlawed is that it depletes ozone.

Just my opinion.
In steel
lubrication oil for lubrication, cutting oil for cutting.

My self today I use a vacuum it is cleaner than oil and only use oil for cutting threads.
When I had a shop ever one used thread cutting for ever thing.
I found a vacuum in home shop is the best way for ever one.

Dave

Just my opinion.
In steel
lubrication oil for lubrication, cutting oil for cutting.

I had contact dermatitis from coolant in mills it wasn't the worst thing in the world but I still have the scars on my hands from doctors not knowing what it was and trying to freeze it off. I'm pretty sure whatever chemical was causing it has been removed for at least ten years. I haven't had a problem with it since around 2000 I believe. The only thing I use at home is a little alumtap to keep metal from sticking to my tools.

I knew some one else 40 years that had dermatitis from cutting
He made his own all items need came from the pharmacy(local drug store)
I did ask what was in the cutting. It was green in color and smell good

Dave

I had contact dermatitis from coolant in mills it wasn't the worst thing in the world but I still have the scars on my hands from doctors not knowing what it was and trying to freeze it off. I'm pretty sure whatever chemical was causing it has been removed for at least ten years. I haven't had a problem with it since around 2000 I believe. The only thing I use at home is a little alumtap to keep metal from sticking to my tools.

Oughtsix

For cutting lubrication, cooling and chip flush. Ridgid cuttting oil is very good for your application.

Yes, you can use many different concoctions. You'll just have to contend with the drawbacks of each of there own.

The animal fats are a thing of the past, for good reason. Unless you want to play with them. They a will always be out there.

But with each there are draw backs , and each may have a very specific use. But are limited at that.

Just like motor oils of the past, compared to current oils.
Cutting oils, lubes have changed for many reasons, to combine traits for better all around performance with less draw backs.

I am not looking to start a controversy, just stating what I have experienced while working for different manufacturers.

Different materials and grades act different with different lubes and the type of tools amd tool coatings being used. Tooling and machines have changed over the years with regard to, coolants/lubes and how it is applied.

Flooding of the coolant or cutting fluid, is a factor to consider for results desired. As you can see, it all depends!!
:victory:

I use neatsfoot oil. It's lard from the lower legs and feet (but not hooves) of cattle. It has a lower melting point than the usual lard and so is liquid at room temperature. You can get it at a tack shop. Note that neatsfoot oil compound is neatsfoot oil diluted with petroleum oil.

What colour is it? Ive got a tub of mistery cutting grease that came with my first lathe, i'm sure its some sort of animal fat but ist much yellower than lard and seperates into a yelowish thin oil and cream colourd lard if it gets left somware warm.

it works amazingly on steel and i'm starting to run low.

stuart

Back