What's the proper cutting fluid

oughtsix

Active User
Registered
I have been using Tri Chem "Kleer Kut" cutting fluid to pump through old rifle barrels as I drill them out for relining. All the Youtube videos I watch show oil being used. Should I be using oil instead of fluid? If so , what sort of oil is recommended?

Thanks,

Cutting fluid is for heat removal and reduction of unnecessary friction. Since my milling is casual, I use light oil. Not only does it do the job while cutting, there will always be a film of oil on the bare metal components of the machine.

Edit: the oil that I use I'd wd40 in bulk or hydraulic oil. Both are dispensed in a spray bottle.

The best one I found for drilling steel is Thread cutting oil Dark
I have never tried the other light/clear thread cutting oil
25 years age I have buy this oil by the drum 55gal. Today I just go to Home depot and buy a gal still work great for cutting and threading steel.
Great caution watching Youtube

Dave

I have been using Tri Chem "Kleer Kut" cutting fluid to pump through old rifle barrels as I drill them out for relining. All the Youtube videos I watch show oil being used. Should I be using oil instead of fluid? If so , what sort of oil is recommended?

Thanks,

Thanks,

The best I've used for drilling out rifle barrels is Tap Magic. Have also used dark cutting oil with good results.

I am going to get a lathe soon. I was wondering about mineral oil? Would that work? Thanks.

It works for Aluminum and brass. I have try steel just does not work as good as Thread cutting oil. But mineral is lot clear and washes off good too. My self today a rarely use any oil my wife does not like the smell of oil so air is real good for wife.

Dave

I am going to get a lathe soon. I was wondering about mineral oil? Would that work? Thanks.

I was reading some stuff about homemade cutting oils, and some mentioned used motor oil. Saying the oil acted as a lubricant, carbon was a high pressure component. So I tried it, and I like it for steel. For aluminum I favor Kerosene, basically WD40 without the additives.

Try different things until you find what works, UMO and Kerosene works great in my shop :)

On the mill I use flood coolant, KoolMist 77 (I think?)
Keeps the cutting area free of chips and allows a more aggressive cut; especially in a pocket.
When cutting hard metals or on the lathe I use thread cutting oil from the big box store. I don't remember if it's Lowes or Home Depot, both carry it but one is twice the cost for the same bottle.
I would not use mineral oil or motor oil, WD40 is good on aluminum. The old timers used to use butter or cream as a thread cutting fluid on the lathe. I don't know how they got rid of a rancid milk stink :noidea:after awhile I think the smell would make you sick.

In my limited experiences used motor oil smokes very badly and is a known carcinogen. I use new auto trans fluid for steel and it smokes much less. For aluminum I have been using wd-40 with good results.

I use this back in 70's work great Transformer oil now we know to increase the flash point they add PCB.
I only found this till the 90's cutting oil also had PCB to increase the flash point and yes this is also found in motor oil, trans fluid and just any other oil we have used.
I did think it was a carcinogen till I had colon cancer 5 years ago

Dave

In my limited experiences used motor oil smokes very badly and is a known carcinogen. I use new auto trans fluid for steel and it smokes much less. For aluminum I have been using wd-40 with good results.

Back