What's the best parting tool?

And, as long as springer is asking, anyone have a recommendation for parting tool size to use in my 10" Logan? My tool holder is sized for a 1/2" blade, but I would like to know about
thickness.

Last edited:
I just saw this thread was bumped today. A few things that I have found helpful when
parting:

1) I have settled on 1/8" wide 1/2" high HSS blade with a T profile with a grooved top.
The wider blades don't wander as much on me. I end up with a much straighter cut.
2) I have 2 parting blade holders, one with very little stick out (~1/2") and one with
considerably more (~ 1.5").
I don't have to readjust the length and re-center when working on larger diameter work, just
swap holders.
3) I have a variable speed lathe and on a larger diameter piece, the SFM will change as the
diameter changes, so I will start off slow and speed up as the diameter decreases. I generally
only have to do this once for a 2" diameter piece, but it seems to help. Even without a variable
speed lathe, you could stop, increase the speed, then continue on with your cut.
4) I'm not sure why, but I tend to do better parting aluminum dry. With steel I will use oil.
I have used WD-40 and oil on aluminum and neither worked that well. Maybe something
like tap magic for aluminum or rapid tap would work, but as I said, parting aluminum dry
has seemed to work ok for me.

Old thread, but it came up on suggested threads up top and I'm looking at these so thought I'd ask.

For those using the shars like above, is the .120 size inserts a good size for a 1340 lathe? Should I get smaller/bigger?

Shars insert number is GTN-3, is there a quality insert that interchanges or are these decent enough?

Yes GTx-3 is what I use on my 12x36 at home. So we are both roughly in the BXA TP class. N is neutral R and or L can be used depending on which side you want to leave the "nub". Iscar was the original but now almost every major player makes suitable if not excellent inserts. Like everything else there are inserts for each material and some overlap. At home I buy from ebay auctions at work I have the ability to buy for the material of a project. The generic cheap inserts work well on the easy to machine materials but coatings make it for monel kmonel 400 series ss etc.

coolant rules for parting even if it is a trigger sprayer.

Steve

Yes I have and it cut very well. Only once so far though.

Back