What's the best job you ever had, and why?

I never had any kind of "career", just various jobs, for most of my life.
Thinking back, I guess the most interesting jobs I've had were working for a couple different auto restoration shops, in the nw. corner of CT.
The area around the Lime Rock race track was home to a few of these places, and had a lot of clientele able to pay for the work.

One shop specialized in British sports car restoration - A lot of Morgans came through, and we rebuilt a couple into national show winners.
We restored the Dodge panel truck that was on the cover of the old Hemmings Motor News magazine for many years.
The second place was basically an exotic car shop - Many nice vintage cars, Ferrari's, Jags, Porsche's, etc, etc.
It's not every day you get to tune, balance the 4 Weber carbs on an Aston Martin DB8, and then take it for a 1/2 hr "test drive" :~)

Neither of these jobs paid an awful lot, so I left them to work as a carpenter for a couple different contractors - It paid a LOT better, and I did that for some years.

Like I said - No career, but I did learn some things .........

Last edited:
I never had any kind of "career", just various jobs, for most of my life.
Thinking back, I guess the most interesting jobs I've had were working for a couple different auto restoration shops, in the nw. corner of CT.
The area around the Lime Rock race track was home to a few of these places, and had a lot of clientele able to pay for the work.

One shop specialized in British sports car restoration - A lot of Morgans came through, and we rebuilt a couple into national show winners.
We restored the Dodge panel truck that was on the cover of the old Hemmings Motor News magazine for many years.
The second place was basically an exotic car shop - Many nice vintage cars, Ferrari's, Jags, Porsche's, etc, etc.
It's not every day you get to tune, balance the 4 Weber carbs on an Aston Martin DB8, and then take it for a 1/2 hr "test Drive" :~)

Neither of these jobs paid an awful lot, so I left them to work as a carpenter for a couple different contractors - It paid a LOT better, and I did that for some years.

Like I said - No career, but I did learn some things .........
I worked on Morgans a bit. Curious cars half built from wood.

John

I think someone with no kids couldn't understand how good it feels to see someone be better at something than you are, when that person is your kid.

This is a huge truth. I remember vividly the first times I realized that each child could do something better than me or that I couldn’t do at all. And they weren’t all that old. :)

My favorite job ever...running a bicycle store. While still a HS junior, I got a job at a local bicycle shop (they also sponsored my road race team). The owners realized I was probably the only literate, non-thief, non-stoner employee and quickly made me the assistant manager, and in the year between HS and college, was bumped to store manager. I loved working with the customers, especially the kids, and making sure they purchased the best products for their needs. I worked there PT though college and eventually moved on in '87, but I often think back on my time in that shop, and smile. My old store didn't survive the 90's. Too much competition from the big box retailers

Whereas I've built a solid, satisfying and well paying career where I'm at now; if I could match even 70% salary, I'd drop my current gig in a heartbeat to return to running a bicycle shop.

During the first half of the 1970's, working for Kelsey/Hayse Disc Brake plant in Ohio. I had completed my Tool And Die apprenticeship. Second shift, (afternoons, my choice). The previous forman had quit, none of the four other Journemen would take the job. I offered to be Group Leader (hourly, not salary). I ran the tool room (machine repair) for 6 months while they found a (salaried) forman. I assigned jobs to the other four toolmakers. (go out and fix that machine) and worked on what I wanted to that had come into the shop. Also built three hand-sized steam engines, and received the highest hourly pay in the factory of 350 workers. This was before CNC equipment was available, all lathe, mill, grinding, etc was by hand. Best Job Ever.

So I'm late to this thread but I have to say my best job to date is the one I have now. I'm the Warranty Coordinator for a large truck upfit company. I'm in charge of the warranty for 3 of our locations. It's a challenging job, but I am surrounded by great people and have the authority to do what needs to be done to take care of our customers.

Back