What's the best job you ever had, and why?

Either building chickenhouses, or selling welding supplies, very close race between the two. Loved the guys and being outdoors (most of the time) doing construction. And loved the people in the welding shops, but the office politics/ got in the way. Later, I found the road, and enjoyed about as much of that I could stand, even though when traffic's good and I'm feeling good, I'll take it, and the solitude.

Back in the early eighties I answered an ad for a position working with the dancers down on the " Block " in Baltimore City at the Hustler Club . The position required applying make up and making sure the girls were clothed accordingly . The guy said the position paid 125K a year with tons of benefits . Hm .................I told him I was definately interested . :encourage: He told me to get out to Chicago ASAP . I had to ask him why Chicago ? He told me that's where the application line started . :cussing:

Actually , I've enjoyed all my past jobs or I wouldn't have worked them .

Gentleman's clubs here in Atlanta don't need a proper clothing watcher as the dancers don't wear any. At all. We have world class strip clubs.

When I was in University, I was hired to build the operating system and an application for a Z80 processor - yes THAT long ago -

They expected me to do this with no training or experience, but faith that I could do it. I was tutoring the 4th year Engineering students in digital logic and assembly programming, and one of my students recommended me for the position.

In 4 months I built what they needed and the next year they asked me back.

---- what was great for me was what happened next ----

I had to rework the application to include many more features, for making the first automated credit card verification system ever attempted. They made a special phone that could call my system, and I'd have to construct and send a database request faking a 3270 terminal asking for a credit check, and parse the results and determining 'yes' or 'no'

When I started work I discovered I was a TERRIBLE programmer. I could hardly read the code, even if it worked fine. So the first thing I had to do was to completely rewrite the original OS to make it useful in the new role.

It taught me that I have to code for an idiot to read, because sometimes I am that idiot.

I got to do a landmark thing in the history of computing. And I got paid enough to get back to school.

When I was in University, I was hired to build the operating system and an application for a Z80 processor - yes THAT long ago -

They expected me to do this with no training or experience, but faith that I could do it. I was tutoring the 4th year Engineering students in digital logic and assembly programming, and one of my students recommended me for the position.

In 4 months I built what they needed and the next year they asked me back.

---- what was great for me was what happened next ----

I had to rework the application to include many more features, for making the first automated credit card verification system ever attempted. They made a special phone that could call my system, and I'd have to construct and send a database request faking a 3270 terminal asking for a credit check, and parse the results and determining 'yes' or 'no'

When I started work I discovered I was a TERRIBLE programmer. I could hardly read the code, even if it worked fine. So the first thing I had to do was to completely rewrite the original OS to make it useful in the new role.

It taught me that I have to code for an idiot to read, because sometimes I am that idiot.

I got to do a landmark thing in the history of computing. And I got paid enough to get back to school.
That's awesome! Did you spend the rest of your career programming?

That's awesome! Did you spend the rest of your career programming?
One of the aspects was to communicate via the X.25 protocol, which I then spent 5 more years developing X.25 for more employers. I then moved to commercial programming, then became an analyst. I finished as a 'last word' trouble shooter, rescuing projects that had failed.

Last edited:
The job I have now as a UPS driver in a very remote, mountainous area which includes about 20 miles of coastline. I see a lot of game (including whales sometimes).

The customers are super friendly, but bringing dog biscuits to the same sweet dogs everyday is truly magical. The dogs sure are excited to see the guy with the dog biscuits!

The best job I ever had was when I opened my own business as a building contractor. Not only did I love the work, but as the business grew both my sons quit their jobs and came to work with me. We worked together for 15 years cashing checks and laughing the days away. My sons are awesome! I show them how to do something on Monday (coping trim, hanging doors, ect) and by Wednesday they can do it better than me! My only disappointment was that when I retired they were both offered 6 figure salaries by other companies so the company I built from nothing returned to nothing.

The best job I ever had was when I opened my own business as a building contractor. Not only did I love the work, but as the business grew both my sons quit their jobs and came to work with me. We worked together for 15 years cashing checks and laughing the days away.
I hope one day to turn my business into a family business too. Back when I was full time self employed, when things were slow, I would bring my little ones (8,10 y/o) into the shop and we would play around with 24VDC circuits. Connect buttons to relays, solenoids to cylinders, make things move around and do stuff. I'm not sure they actually learned anything but they thought it was cool and hopefully it generated a little seed of interest that can bloom into understanding later. I need to start doing that again.
My sons are awesome! I show them how to do something on Monday (coping trim, hanging doors, ect) and by Wednesday they can do it better than me!
I think someone with no kids couldn't understand how good it feels to see someone be better at something than you are, when that person is your kid.
My only disappointment was that when I retired they were both offered 6 figure salaries by other companies so the company I built from nothing returned to nothing.
Well that's... bittersweet.

fr_517_size880.jpg

Double edged sword though.

Nothing more gratifying and fulfilling than (literally) pulling someone from the jaws of death and at the same time; nothing more crushing than recovering a body or returning from a search empty handed. The ones where kids were involved were the worst, whether they were the casualty or the bystander.

Still, wouldn't trade my life in SAR for a million bucks.....even if after 30 years it "broke me" mentally and physically.....no regrets, the juice was worth the squeeze.

At least I'll have a few good stories for the old age home.....

"These Things I Shall Do...That Others May Live"

Last edited:
That is a tough question to answer. But I think 20 years of traveling the world repairing computerized sawmill machinery would be in top place. For about half of that time I was employed by a German company, but was based at my home. I had full freedom to operate independently and take care of customers as needed. Then I continued on as a self employed contractor. I have to admit that 20 years of living on airplanes and living in hotels did get a bit old. But much better than punching a time clock and looking at the same 4 walls everyday.

Back