Whats Been Keeping Me Out Of The Machine Shop

Greg,
To barrow a term from my dad and his father you my friend are "One Damm Fine Mechanic"
Really like the resawed counter top.
*******Keep Up The Good Work*************Gator**********

f350ca,

Installed the island unit yesterday. It took four people to carry the maple top into the house, must weigh 3-400 pounds.

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Now that its out of my shop I'll have the room to build the upper cabinets. Then I can get back to making metal shavings.

IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1328.jpg

WOW!! I love them!! Fantastic work! We need to redo our kitchen, and I hope I can do 1/10th the job you did!!

wow, just wow. I dream of being able to do woodwork like that. Even a 1/4 of the fit and finish would be nice! I only hope that the cupboards in your own kitchen are as beautiful :)

That's some nice work! I would be proud to have those in our kitchen.

I am also a wood worker(not by trade) and did my own kitchen cabinets about 23 years ago, so I know the work it takes. I also have to say that your cabinets are great looking. The workmanship looks real good. It is also interesting that like you I have also started building my own band saw mill. I will be using rubber tires from a utility trailer to drive the blade. They have 12 inch rims I think the od is 21 inches. So far I have turned the drive hub and axel. I have also turned the wheels that will ride on the track and inserted them in some 2 x 3 tubing. I inserted bronze bushings and the axels are grease able. I like the brushes you put on yours, good idea. Before I can go any further I will need to purchase some 2 x 2 thick wall tubing so I can weld the section that rides on the track and start working on the frame. I have some 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 that will slide over the 2 inch and will be used to support the cutting assembly. I still need to come up with an idea for the blade tracking as well as the tensioner.

Paul

I am also a wood worker(not by trade) and did my own kitchen cabinets about 23 years ago, so I know the work it takes. I also have to say that your cabinets are great looking. The workmanship looks real good. It is also interesting that like you I have also started building my own band saw mill. I will be using rubber tires from a utility trailer to drive the blade. They have 12 inch rims I think the od is 21 inches. So far I have turned the drive hub and axel. I have also turned the wheels that will ride on the track and inserted them in some 2 x 3 tubing. I inserted bronze bushings and the axels are grease able. I like the brushes you put on yours, good idea. Before I can go any further I will need to purchase some 2 x 2 thick wall tubing so I can weld the section that rides on the track and start working on the frame. I have some 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 that will slide over the 2 inch and will be used to support the cutting assembly. I still need to come up with an idea for the blade tracking as well as the tensioner.

Paul
I've seen rubber tires used and they seem to work well. When I started building this mill I'd planned to use trailer wheel bearings and made hubs and 1 inch axles to fit these sheaves. I then found out the blade manufacturer wants 16-1700 pounds tension on the blades. That would put 32-3400 pounds load on the bearings, didn't think the 1 inch axle would be up to it so redesigned and went with 1 1/2 axles running in pillow blocks.
For blade tracking i used set screws against the back pillow block, once its was set I've never had to readjust it.
IMGP1687.jpg

The blade guides are 6200 bearings if I remember right, they're pressed on a shaft with an eccentric bore to adjust clearance.

IMGP0023.jpg

I built a small cylinder with a 2 square inch area to tension the blade, with this area a hydraulic gauge in psi gives the blade tension in pounds.

IMGP1697.jpg

The cylinder is mounted inside this square tube that slides on the angle shaped pieces.

IMGP1689.jpg

Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Greg

IMGP1687.jpg IMGP0023.jpg IMGP1697.jpg IMGP1689.jpg

Greg, thanks for the great pictures. I never gave much thought to making a piston for pressure indicator. I like it. I also like how you made the track for raising the band saw. Looks like it would work very smooth. I also was concerned about using a 1 inch diameter shaft on the driven wheel. I had some 1 1/4 CR so I think I'll try that. I also have some 1 1/4 inch pillow blocks, they are the 2 bolt type. Of coarse, this only answers the drive end I'll need to think about the other side.

Paul

Had some free time before supper to play. A buddy brought me this burl he found on an Iron Wood tree.

IMG_1333.jpg

After a bit of time on the lathe and a coat of oil.

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

Thanks for looking
Greg

IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1336.jpg

Back